Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head full of cotton wool

Hey,

I've been doing a bit better recently as did a major diet overhaul and am now eating as much fresh foods as poss and cutting out processed foods and sugar, which has miraculously gotten rid of the constant nauseua I was feeling before! Hallelujah!

But now it seems like, as I've got one symptom a bit undercontrol, another now seems more obvious. I don't know if it's coz I'm tired, but the brain fog is always there and just seems to be getting worse at the moment, and it just makes me feel utterly dumb, though I know I'm not. I'm frustrated to the point of wanting to scream.

Feel like I'm trapped in my own head, like there's stuffing in my head that I just want to wash out so I can think clearly again...

I'm currently still appealing my degree grade too as I know all this brain fog was the reason I did not get the grade I was aiming for at uni, but trying to explain that while still having the brain fog is so hard - And there's hardly any help, I spend my day with gritted teeth.

I've also recently had an MRI and an abnormality was found in my pituitary gland. My rheumy has referred me urgently to an endocrynologist, but it's been over a month and I still havent seen him! That's not urgent! My rheumy is great for the physical symptoms, but she never really takes me seriously with the brain fog, and now that I've kicked up a fuss to emphasise how bad it is, she is now saying that she thinks the confusion/memory loss is due to the lesions on my pituary gland.

Does anyone have any experience with any of this? Half the time I feel like I'm going mad and I'm stuck home alone so much because I'm not capable to work regularly or go out regularly currently.

Just want to scream and run away from my own head.

Anyone got any thoughts?

xxx

Hi Xanadu,

I do not have experience with this but I did look it up and found this.

The pituitary gland is a pea-sized gland located at the base of the skull between the optic nerves. The pituitary gland secretes hormones. Hormones are chemicals that travel through our blood stream. The pituitary is sometimes referred to as the "master gland" as it controls hormone functions such as our temperature, thyroid activity, growth during childhood, urine production, testosterone production in males and ovulation and estrogen production in females. In effect the gland functions as our thermostat that controls all other glands that are responsible for hormone secretion. The gland is a critical part of our ability to respond to the environment most often without our knowledge.
    found it here

http://www.neurosurgery.pitt.edu/min...ary/index.html

Maybe you should give your rhumey a call and tell them you have not received that urgent appointment.
    Dealing with lupus can make us feel so alone sometimes.:hug:

We do have members that have dealt with this. Hopefully they will come along and see your post.

Take care,
    Lyn

Comment

Definitely check back in with your doctor. I don't know how many times referrals were forgotten or lost. Also if the wait is really long a personal call by the doctor may be able to speed things up.

Take care,
      Lazylegs

Comment

Hi Xanadu

I can't help with the pituatry gland but I know exactly what you mean about the brain fog as this is what I struggle with the most.

I work 3days a week and have 2 small children so life is very hectic anyway, despite trying to live with Lupus. I work from home but my job also requires me to travel up to 5hrs on some days. I really don't know how I manage to drive safely at times as my concentration is so poor. My memory is also quite bad at times. I really struggle in meetings at times, particularly if I am asked to contribute as I might not know what is being discussed or can't remember the information I am being asked. I also tend to use the wrong words at times e.g. when my son has got out of the bath I'll tell him to go and get in the bath instead of putting his pj's on! At least he thinks it's funny and we can laugh about it.

Like you I feel like I have cotton wool in my head and just can't think straight. I struggle to get through the day and end up in bed by 9:30 every night. There are days when I rally should go off sick as I know I'm not really working but it goes against my ethos so I just struggle on. I often feel that I want life to stop to let me catch up but it doesn't and I can't get away from the brain fog. I am hoping that once my meds kick in things will be better.

My employer has recommended me to contact the access to work scheme as they may be able to offer practical help at work. They can also advise you on what help could be available to enable you to work. Don't know if that is something that could be useful for you or not.

Any way, I'm not sure I have helped at all other than to say you are not alone and I know how you feel. Sometimes it is helpful just to know that and have a rant with people who understand.

I hope you find the help you need with regard to the pituitary gland

Take care

Comment

What meds are you on? Only as I was also very foggy but since weaning myself of amitriptyline I'm def getting better with my memory and less fuzzy.
          Lisa

Comment

Crazy k, thank you so much for your words, it's so good to hear someone else feels the same! I feel like I'm trying to play catch up with everyone, and desperately don't want to stop doing anything. It's so frustrating. I've just finished one lot of temporary work and have had to hold off getting another job as I'm barely fit to get out of bed currently and when I do, the cotton-wool-head is there stopping me from being able to do anything productive. I am trying to clean up my diet though and found that helped a bit (before the pituitary problems came along) - perhaps that could help you? Just eating lots of veg, and cutting down on sugar/fat.

I'm on Hydroxychlorine Lisa, though my pain is getting worse so I'm not sure what's going to happen next. What meds are you on now?

Thanks for all your words and sorry it takes me so long to reply - Head and body not working together, you know how it is! x

Comment

Working...
            X