Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cortisone injection for knee

Hi all,

I'm not around here much anymore, but I wanted to see if anyone has had cortisone injections into their knee joint before. I've been having some problems with one of my knees for several months now. I went through 3+ months of physical therapy (going 2x/week and doing daily exercises) and while my muscle tone improved, my knee didn't. I had an MRI to check for any tears, but there's nothing concerning showing up on the MRI. The pain in my knee continues to wake me up at night, fire up whenever I sit for more than 10 minutes, and sometimes impedes my ability to walk around and do my job.

The doctor wants me to come in for a cortisone injection in about a week. I'm going to do it, but I'm feeling extremely anxious over it. I don't usually have a problem with needles, but I also haven't had them go into a joint before!!

Has anyone had one of these joint injections done before? How was the pain? Did the injection seem to help and last very long?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Kit

Hi Kit
    I have similar trouble with my knee but they gave me the jab in my bottom. It was a big jab but they put some anestesia in with the first needle ( tehre were 3 ) and I felt nothing. It helped me for around 2 weeks . This may not be the same as I ahd a lot of pain elsewhere as well at the time
    I am sure they will be kind and not cause you pain if they can help so try not to worry
    Pam

Comment

Hi Kit -

I've had steroid injections into my chest before to help with costocondritis - the injections did hurt, but it was worth it for the relief that I got. It lasted about 2 months - it was well worth it.

Hope this helps -

Nellie

Comment

Hi Kit,

Good to see you on the site again. Sorry it had to be under these circumstances.

I had a cortisone injection in my shoulder. It was painful as the doctor kept moving from one spot to another, but as Nellie said it was well worth it. The initial shoulder pain started to subside in about 5 or 6 days.

Good luck.

Take care,
        Lazylegs

Comment

Hi Kit,
          Not really certain how this site works yet, so I've quoted you.

I have had a few cortisone shots in my knees, and shoulders over the past 10 yrs. They don't hurt...maybe a little pinch at first. They are over within 10 seconds as I recall. And they are wonderful. The first one I had in my right shoulder lasted years...it's still working and I had one about 6 yrs ago in my right shoulder.

Now in July 2007, my left knee went on me suddenly, when I was in a crouched position for 10 minutes or more. I was gardening. The pain was excruciating. It was 2 wks before I could see a doctor, mid-August. This doctor prescribed Celebrex, which I had an allergic reaction too. Due to a calamity of misfortune's, like being stung by 16 wasps 4 days prior to being put on Celebrex, it took me a week to realize I was having an allergic reaction to the drug, and not the wasp stings itching me. After Celebrex, I was put on Naproxin until mid-October, when I finally got in to see the Sports Dr I still see for my knees and shoulders. This Sports Dr uses drugs as a last resort. He discontinued the Naproxin, which was hard on my stomache, and he gave me a cortisone shot in my left knee. Without the Naproxin, the pain in my knee was still excruciating. I needed the medication to rid myself of the pain. BUT after the cortisone needle, my knee would sometimes feel sore if I over did it, but the pain level was never excruciating. I received the cortisone shot mid-October, and had surgery 1.5 yrs later, and the cortisone was still having an affect. So believe me, it's alot better than taking medication. I had Arthroscopic surgery on Dec. 30, 2008, and my knee feels almost 100% again.

So no fears, and I hope the cortisone shot works for you as well as it has worked for me. I also had Syn Visc injections, which helped to lubricate the knee. This lasted about 6 months.

Originally posted by denalirat View Post
          Hi all,

I'm not around here much anymore, but I wanted to see if anyone has had cortisone injections into their knee joint before. I've been having some problems with one of my knees for several months now. I went through 3+ months of physical therapy (going 2x/week and doing daily exercises) and while my muscle tone improved, my knee didn't. I had an MRI to check for any tears, but there's nothing concerning showing up on the MRI. The pain in my knee continues to wake me up at night, fire up whenever I sit for more than 10 minutes, and sometimes impedes my ability to walk around and do my job.

The doctor wants me to come in for a cortisone injection in about a week. I'm going to do it, but I'm feeling extremely anxious over it. I don't usually have a problem with needles, but I also haven't had them go into a joint before!!

Has anyone had one of these joint injections done before? How was the pain? Did the injection seem to help and last very long?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
          Kit
          Last edited by sailnsun; 01-28-2010, 06:44 AM. Reason: Wasn't finished

Comment

Working...
          X