Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Forum changes

In the next few days we'll be switching to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate the problems we've had over the last few months. Once we've switched to the new software every member will need to reset their password. You can still use your current username. You'll need to click on the "forgot password" link and follow the simple instructions to reset your password. Please make sure your email address is up to date in your account now. Remember, you don't need to do anything yet, carry on using the forums as normal, and it will be obvious when the switch has gone through and you need to reset.
See more
See less

Sulfite allergy?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sulfite allergy?

I am new here. I haven't been diagnosed yet because I thought I had found the cause of my problems...sulfite sensitivity. I have had reactions to both sulfites and sulfa drugs so even if there is no connection, I can't handle either. Wine coolers are the worst. I felt like I was having a heart attack. My major flares seem to have come several years apart, thank heavens. There is a huge list of foods I try to avoid. My hands swell and itch and my chest hurts. Dried fruits, coconut, sulfite as preservative salad bars, msg, oven cleaners (no, I dont eat it!!)
    Pledge, armor all, processed meats, etc. I now have more symptoms of lupus and am awaiting diagnosis. I read where many people with lupus are allergic to sulfa drugs. Opinions?

Hi Sunflower, I have moved your post to a thread of your own, so that more people see it. That way you will get more responses. I am sure our members will be along shortly with their expereinces, many lupus patients cannot tolerate sulfites. Here is a link to the symptoms of lupus.

http://www.thelupussite.com/lupus1.html

Comment

Hello.. the massive flare I had that landed me in the hospital for a week was triggered (after ages in pain with loads of symptoms) by cleaning the shower with a supposedly safe(ish) product..I also react to MSG and feel rough with a bad head and sore joints if I eat Chinese food....ok with red wine and dried apricots though..so not sure if mine is a sulphite thing but I do use natural products for shampoo, conditioner,toothpaste, skin care as much as poss and washing up liquid..just cutting down the contact I have with anything chemical really......glad you are on the case and hope it helps to avoid sulphites for you....and I am allergic to Septrin.... will monitor it even more carefully now!!! Thanks...Claire

Comment

:hello:

I have never been on a sulfa drug but I do know we are to avoid them.

I do not use very many cleaning products and I haven't for years. My joints would always become inflamed. Any product that REQUIRES gloves to be worn Or a well ventilated area I just won't use.

I cannot drink wine. Major headache on tiny amount.

dmarie

ps having a hard time these days thinking and writing

Comment

Hi Songflower

:welcome: to the site. I'm not sure I've had enough exposure to know if I have these allergies - my husband does the cleaning but now I know I HAVE to avoid them, that's good reason for me to never have to share the chores :lol:

Are you under the care of a Rheumy? What is he saying about possible diagnoses?
          Best wishes,

Comment

I have always been allergic to sulfa drugs-long before I was diagnosed with sle.

Comment

Working...
            X