X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Myalgia

I have what my doctor salls myalgia badly in my leg muscles.
    I am having great difficulty walking, it is so painful that I want to scream. It is like having wooden legs.
    It certainly isnt with over excercising although I do try to walk eacha dn every day, but today a few huindred yards is the most I made before turning back almost in tears.
    This is new in the last 2 weeks and I wondered is it the Lupus or szomething else at all ?
    What with this and the periperal neuropathy I am very fed up.
    What workds for this pain, anyone any ideas pl;aese.
    Thanks

Pam

Hi Pamela,

I'm not really sure what could be causing your myalgia. It's also difficult to know what the pain is really like as there are so many different types of pain. I can't even keep track of the different things that I have at different times.

There is a degree of myalgia possible with lupus but what you are experiencing sounds rather severe; often we get more muscle stiffness than true myalgia. I'd hazard a guess that it may have something to do with the peripheral neuropathy with nerves perhaps sending strange messages to muscles or perhaps the kind of "surface" (but sharp) pain that you can get with fibro... As I say, I am really only guessing but if it is that severe then your rheumy needs informing.

I too get periods of severe pain, usually after I've done something different (not always immediately identifiable as it can be something very small) but my pain is more the surface muscles and skin. To me it feels like fibro pain is described but I don't actually have a fibro diagnosis so I really don't have a clue. Thankfully, from being a very regular occurrence, it has now become rare.

Do mention it to the rheumy and try and get some relief :hug:

Katharine

Comment

Originally posted by pamela b View Post
      I have what my doctor salls myalgia badly in my leg muscles.
      I am having great difficulty walking, it is so painful that I want to scream. It is like having wooden legs.
      It certainly isnt with over excercising although I do try to walk eacha dn every day, but today a few huindred yards is the most I made before turning back almost in tears.
      This is new in the last 2 weeks and I wondered is it the Lupus or szomething else at all ?
      What with this and the periperal neuropathy I am very fed up.
      What workds for this pain, anyone any ideas pl;aese.
      Thanks

Pam
      Hi Pam, I too suffer from myalgia so I koow how you feel!!!Mine is mostly upper body.While myalgia is common enough in SLE it can also progress to Myositis. You might like to ask your Dr. about this as there is a specific blood test for it (CPK) and it also needs specific treatment.Hope things work out for you , best wishes, Ossie.

Comment

Hi Pam I seem to have the very same symptoms as you. I walk every day before I go out I take two pain killers and rub anti inflammatory get into my legs it helps not much just a little. My GP doesn't know whats wrong with me. I'm not back to my rheumy till September. So it will be interesting to see what other replies you get.

Take care Pip

Comment

I also get myalgia. It one of my ever annoying lingering symptoms. I get it mainly in my upper body (shoulders etc) and some lower back stiffness. I find the lower back stiffness disappears totally when i am treated with pred (don't know if that is a coincidence). Mostly i treat it with heat and rest. I also go to physio as i develop trigger points if i dont. The physio treats it with massage and dry needling (the trigger points) which works really well. Sometimes i am not even sure if it's related to lupus. It could be just wear and tear for me, however i only started getting it when all my other symptoms started and it coincides with overwhelming fatigue so i am suspicious. My Rhuemy has ruled out fibro, and i do know that if it was fibro i wouldn't respond to massage or steroids etc. I've tried NSAIDS but they don't relieve all of the pain. Lately i haven't been doing to bad with controlling the myalgia, but i am sure that's because all my symptoms seem to be in check. Hope you manage to find something that works.

Comment

Thanks all
            My rheumy does know they called it myalgia and told me what it was but offered no answers.

I guess I am just odd in that i am always getting new symtoms which according to them should not be happening.
            Ah well, onwards and upwards
            Pam

Comment

Pam just have to say I'm odd with you always something new or extra. Take care pip

Comment

Hi Pam,

It's common to get this to some degree from Lupus, it's a pretty common part of my daily ailments, if it gets severe (and it does if I overdo it) I generally try to rest more and often that helps. I also have to resort to taking a stronger form of codeine until the pain subsides.

Some drugs can cause myalgia as a side effect, it might pay to check yours out on somewhere like drugdigest.com to see if any of your fit the bill. The statins are reknown for it.

Hope you get some answers and relief soon.

love
                Lily

Comment

i too am having this problem right now - but still waiting to get into see an emergency rheumy It's so painful. There is myositis in my family so wandering if it is that rather than lupus related. I posted further down the board about this - i think it was entitled "burning leg muscles when climbing stairs" do you have the same problem??

Comment

Working...
                  X