Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Forum changes

In the next few days we'll be switching to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate the problems we've had over the last few months. Once we've switched to the new software every member will need to reset their password. You can still use your current username. You'll need to click on the "forgot password" link and follow the simple instructions to reset your password. Please make sure your email address is up to date in your account now. Remember, you don't need to do anything yet, carry on using the forums as normal, and it will be obvious when the switch has gone through and you need to reset.
See more
See less

Burning pain in hip?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burning pain in hip?

I know that joint pain is a common thing, and I've had plenty of aches and pain and some swelling in various joints, but I've been getting this pain in my right hip over the past few months that has been slowly getting worse. It's like it's burning inside the joint. I've had some aching in my left hip, but nothing like my right. It's made me limp on the worst days. Doesn't matter if I'm standing or sitting. And it's different than the other joint aches somehow.

I get other unusual pain in my right leg - this sharp, shooting, burning pain on the inside of my right thigh. I have NO idea what causes it. I don't know if it's related to the pain in my hip.

I've been trying to ignore the hip pain, figuring originally that it was just another annoying ache, no different than the others, but I'm pretty sure at this point that it's something different. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Any theories? I'm at a loss, and right now, I can't handle another doctor appointment and another wild goose chase. I'm still trying to mentally recover from the neuropsych eval on Thursday (which kicked my butt).

Thanks, all.

Hello Mijan --

When I hear burning, I think nerves. I wonder if it's possible that a nerve is being pinched/compressed or just inflammed somewhere along the line and that you are getting pain from the hip down (or thigh up)! I have had nerve compression in my back that ran down the upper leg. VERY painful.

Daniel Wallace, M.D., in his "The Lupus Book" 3rd edition, does describe a condition called "avascular (or aseptic) necrosis" (p. 83), that might possibly fit. "Experienced as a localized pain, avascular necrosis begins when fat clots produced by steroids clog up the blood supply to bone and deprive it of oxygen. This results in dead bone tissue, which, in turn, produces a tremendous amount of pain and ultimately the destruction of bone. About 10 percent of avascular necrosis is not the result of steroids but derives from clots in the blood supply to the bone in patients with the circulating lupus anticoagulant or in those with active inflammation of blood vessels (vasculitis), which obstructs blood flow to the bone. Even though avascular necrosis is seen in 5 to 10 percent of those with systemic lupus, signs of the affliction may not appear on plain x-rays for many months. Early cases may be identified by MRI. The most common target areas are hip, shoulder and knee."

I know that sounds serious, and you may not have that at all, but thought I would throw it out there for you.

By the way, it sounds like I have the deep, socket pain (more like aching deep inside) in my right hip like you have with your left hip. Since it is periodic and doesn't limit me on a regular basis, nothing is being done for it at the moment.

Hope the weekend is relaxing enough for you to recover from your neuropsyc eval (did you get out for some mushroom hunting yet?). Very mentally exhausting I am sure.

Take care Mijan.

Monica

Comment

Hi Mijan,
      Your posting made me wonder if you have sjogren's syndrome. In the last few weeks I read that often the fluid in our joints is reduced with sjogren's. Often this lack of adequate joint fluid is the cause of pain that does not seem to have any other reason. The problem with this for us is that many people with lupus and ss will not be able to be replaced with other fluid means such as synvisc as our bodies will reject this "foreign" substance. I know two injections of this threw me into a flare which lasted 6 months! One of our local lupus research rheumy's, when I asked her about this, said that of 10 of her patients who had synvisc injections, 9 went into major flares.

I get numbness in my thighs if I walk or stand for any length of time or walk any distance. My neuro doc said this is due to neuropathy. If you have not done so before, you might ask for a referral to a neurologist who has experience in dealing with autoimmune diseases. You might find out that there is a solution for you to remove this issue.
      I wish you well,
      Sally

Comment

Hi Mijan,

I have burstitis in my hip at the moment and it produces similar problems to the ones you are having. A total guess though. I can't sleep on it and it makes me limp. I have been told it requires PT and if that doesn't help then an increase in either my steroids or Cellcept to decrease the inflammation. It is really debilitating having hip pain, so i feel for you.

When are you due to see your rheumy?

Cally x

Comment

Hi Mijan

Like Cally, when I read your post I was thinking about bursitis. It's a burning pain, which can get steadily worse (or in my case, now better). My hip would also be sore to touch on the outside, which is one of the tests the rheumy made to make the diagnosis.

My rheumy said 'there's not much we can do about that' which wasn't the most helpful comment I'd heard! Luckily, as my disease has come under control, the pain in my hip has steadily decreased.

Comment

Hi guys, thanks for the input. I've been thinking over what you've said, trying to decide what to do about it, if anything. It COULD be any of those things you guys mentioned, or it might be none of them. I don't know.

Monica, I've heard of the avascular necrosis, and I know the hip is a common location for that. It's possible, yes, but that feels a bit alarmist quite yet. But I'm aware that it's a possibility.

Sally, I haven't been told that I have any particular signs of Sjogren's. I do get dry eyes sometimes, but I don't think I've ever had dry mouth, and I haven't tested positive for any of the antibodies related to it. Anything is possible, but that seems less likely right now. I'll have to remember that thing about the synvisc, though. We'd considered that for my bad knee... but now I think I'll avoid it.

Also, I've seen a neurologist. In fact, I've seen two, and I've got a follow-up in two weeks. They assessed for neuropathy and the test came back normal, so I've still got no explanation for the intermittent numbness in my hands or the shooting pains in my arms, hands, legs, and feet. Ya win some, ya lose some.

Cally - bursitis? Now that's an interesting theory. I'll stick it on my mental list.

Now the next thing I've gotta consider is which doctor to ask, and whether it's worth asking now, or waiting until my next scheduled appointment. It's in July. *sigh* Does the adventure never end?

Comment

Working...
            X