Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Forum changes

In the next few days we'll be switching to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate the problems we've had over the last few months. Once we've switched to the new software every member will need to reset their password. You can still use your current username. You'll need to click on the "forgot password" link and follow the simple instructions to reset your password. Please make sure your email address is up to date in your account now. Remember, you don't need to do anything yet, carry on using the forums as normal, and it will be obvious when the switch has gone through and you need to reset.
See more
See less

Is a positive anti-dsDNA result (double stranded DNA) mean lupus?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a positive anti-dsDNA result (double stranded DNA) mean lupus?

I was wondering if a positive anti-dsDNA result means lupus? I have heard that it does but yet I have not been diagnosed. My rheumy said I have "lupus tendencies" but not enough symptoms to be diagnosed so she wants to follow me. But I am not sure if that is the right move on her part.

Anyone know about anti-dsDNA and whether or not it means you have lupus?

Also, if you have lupus...do you have positive anti-dsDNA? Was anyone diagnosed with lupus based on this result?

Thanks!

Hi There, I believe a positive anti - DNA result is fairly specific for Lupus. I was diagnosed with Lupus because I had a positive anti DNA (it still is) a positive ANA, various swellings in soft tissues and joints and a history of chronic fatigue. Hope this helps!
    Eileen

Comment

Hi Shasha,

No one test can determine if you have Lupus or not. Doctors use the testing and symptoms to make a diagnosis. The following site shows the criteria doctors follow when diagnosisng http://www.uklupus.co.uk/dxlupus.html.

Take care,
      Lazylegs

Comment

A positive anti-dsDNA does not automatically get you a lupus diagnosis, although it is one of the most specific auto-antibody tests for lupus. It can on rare occasions appear for no known reason/in the absence of lupus or due to other reasons. Most importantly, there must be at least symptoms/signs present for a lupus diagnosis or a positive kidney biopsy and/or skin biopsy in the absence of 4 symptoms from the list already provided in the link by Lazylegs.

If you believe you have 4 symptoms, and there is strongly positive bloodwork and you feel as if your doctor is not treating you appropriately, then definitely get a second opinion from a recommended rheumatologist. Good luck to you - hope you feeling better soon one way or another.

Comment

Working...
        X