Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Positive D-Dimer?

Hi Guys, hope everyone is doing well.

I was just wondering if anyone knows much about the D-Dimer blood test. I was reading my hospital notes the other day whilst I was waiting in clinic and I was reading through the section added when I was in hospital last October for suspected Pulmonary Embolism. In the notes it says in big capitals D-Dimer POSITIVE...then goes on to say they will perform a CT -which they did...then when they saw no clots on the ct they discharged me..writing "D-Dimer possibly due to active Lupus" and nothing further has ever been done about it. I work as a medical lab assistant and I know a positive d-dimer is caused by the body breaking down blood clots...so therefore indicative of a blood clot..and I cannot see anything on the net or in books about lupus causing a positive d-dimer...so why was it not followed up? I'm a little worried! Does anyone know anything that could be helpful? Thanks x

Hi,
    yes raised d dimer is usually what promts docs to check for blood clots as it can be an indicater of these.
    I am not sure about any connection with lupus but do know that it can also be caused by infection or virus.

Hope you manage to get some anwers.

Cassie

Comment

Hi mooks,

It sounds like they checked you for clots and found none so that's good (obviously ) If you did have one then your body did what it was supposed to do. Are you lupus anticoagulant or anti-cardiolipin positive? Have you ever been tested for those?

From what I just read on labtestslonline there are various reasons for a positive and also false positives. I don't know if you fall into any of those categories but I will give you the website link, it may help.

http://www.labtestsonline.org/unders...imer/test.html

I hope things are a lot better for you these days and you aren't as unwell as you were.

love
      Lily

Comment

Hi Mooks,
        Say Hi to Maidstone for me. I was born just down the road in Leeds.
        Ive just had a raised D Dimer too. Have had a DVT in my leg before so they gave me heparin injections for the weekend then a scan on the leg Id had a clot in before. They didnt find anything but obviously my D Dimer was still high. They havnt followed anything up with me either.
        I was a little worried too as thought maybe the clot could be somewhere else but they didnt seem to think that needed investigating.
        Im nearly 8 months waiting to see the Rheumatologist lets hope Im still alive by the time I get my appointment. :sad:
        I had never heard of this test till then so its just another thing to worry about I suppose.
        Hope you find some answers.
        Sal x

Comment

A positive D-dimer is actually common and many different conditions can cause it to be raised. Lupus, pregnancy and other things can cause it to be positive. Out of 100 patients with a positive d dimer test only 20% will have a clot. That is why they did the CT. Since it was negative they must assume something else is making the d dimer positive like Lupus.

Comment

Well thank goodness Im not pregnant. Phew!!! Must be the Lupus for me. Im 54 lol.

Comment

I had the D Dimer positive and they did the same thing, cat scan and that was fine. The doctor told me that the D Dimer is also a marker for inflamation and that is why it can be high in Lupus.

Comment

I must admit I have got to the point of totally ignoring D Dimers and encouraging DR's to as well. I have lung problems with my lupus and so often have to go into hosp with sahrp pain in my chest. They always get freaked out by it being a clot as my D dimers are always raised. They can never do a CT scan then it is always after a few days and they wont let you go out of hospital if they fear you have a clot. Its very irratating and I have actually discharged myself.
                It is always a risky thing to do as I am sure one day it might be a clot but I cant put my life on hold for this disease. I have decided it has to work around me!

K

Comment

I had an elevated d dimer in emergency (in for chest pain), and had acute dvt in one leg and multiple bi-lateral pulmonary emboli....one really big one. Six days in ICU.

I understand the annoyance of repeated tests that always come up negative, but .......

Best wishes, Fran

Comment

d-dimer is an indicator for blood clots. sometimes clots form in other areas; kidneys liver pancreas ext. dont stop there find out whats going on and where the clots are forming.
                    pearl

Comment

Hi Mooks

I have had a few blood clots now so i am alittle aware of the D-Dimer blood test. As all the others have said it is an indication that there could be a clot. You can have a false positive reading so thats why they usually follow up with scans etc, which they did in your case and luckily nothing was found.

I was told when i had my first DVT that a false positives are quite common but you never have a false negative but in my case i did have a false negative and with every clot since i have had the same results, not sure why but i have been found to have a low anti thrombin 3 level which causes blood clots so whether having a false negative is part of having this disorder i am not sure.

I wouldn't worry too much about the positive D-Dimer as it was followed up by a scan.

Take care :bunny: Jo :bunny:

Comment

I just got home hours ago, my d dimer was also positive, they did a chest xray and a ct scan and found nothing and sent me home. The dr also told me people with lupus are likely to get a positive d dimer. I must say that really doesnt make me feel better especially since I feel horrible!!! They gave me a shot of Morphine and sent me home....... unbelievable in my eyes!

Comment

Hi Jackie -

I hope the morphine kicks in soon and you get some relief.

This is a pretty old thread so I'm going to close it now - feel free to start a new thread of your own so your post won't get lost in an old thread.

Take care,

Comment

Working...
                          X