1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    If you have any problems resetting your password please just email me joanne@thelupussite.com
    Dismiss Notice

anti ribosmal p antibodies

Discussion in 'Tests and Procedures' started by Dolphin94, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Dolphin94

Dolphin94 New Member

has anyone had this test done by their rheum and has anyone been diagnosed based with SLE on this test ? Thanks !

2. mark176

mark176 Active Member

Hi

Yes i had that test and was negative. Not diagnosed with lupus, UCTD.

From memory that test can identify Lupus and other autoimmune diseases. Its also linked to neurological lupus type issues. It can also be link to
    Liver issues. Have you had an ALT blood test done to check liver enzymes?
    May be worth an ultrasound to make sure nothing is going on there.

I also think that antibody is linked to RA. Are there any joint issues. The problem with most autoimmune diseases is they all sort of merge into one.

I hope that helps.

Kind regards
    Mark

Dolphin94 likes this.
  3. Dolphin94

Dolphin94 New Member

Thanks :) I am + for it along with histones. I have been two 2 rheum's who don't think its important so no dx of SLE or UCTD. But everything I have read says it is important and linked it CNS and SLE hepatitis so I was wondering wat other's had heard of it from their rheum. Liver enzymes are good.

4. mark176

mark176 Active Member

Hi

Histone antibodies are normally linked to drug induced lupus. I thought i might have that as my autoimmune was triggered by vaccines.

The ALT test is very sensitive at picking up liver damage. Is the value less than 40. Even drinking a glass of wine the night before an ALT test will elevate its level.

A lot of this is about getting the right Rheumy. I saw 5 rheumys, 4 swept me under the carpet. Only one got his prescription pad out. It took a while to get the right balance of meds. I take 2 different anti malarials which keeps
    problem 90-95% in check. Without those pills i will fall apart and stop functioning.

Kind regards
    Mark

5. mark176

mark176 Active Member

Hi

One more thing they dont know exactly how antimalarials work, but the do inhibit the formation of autoantibodies. Whilst u are on them it will alter your blood chemistry. My ANA at private clinic was 1:320, now its consistently negative.

Do not stop taking the AM as it will result in a flare. I found kick back effect started 48 hours after stopping AM.

A good rheumy will know that AM affect blood chem.

The plaquenil alone isnt strong enough for me, so my rheumy used another one called mepacrine or quinacrine. Together they work well. I get timy amounts of inflammation. Mostly late at night or first thing before i take pills.

Hope u get some progress with your visit to new rheumatologist.

Mark

Dolphin94 likes this.
  6. Dolphin94

Dolphin94 New Member

Thanks. With ANA 1:320 have u been able to get a dx ?

7. mark176

mark176 Active Member

Hi

Bit of a story really. March 2015 got some vaccines for a trip abroad. Had some muscle swelling before that, thought nothing of it. After vaccines all sorts of problems!
    Aug 2015 1st rheumatologist used NHS blood tests which had ANA as negative and diagnosed chronic fatigue syndrome.

Problems kept on happening. Then I went to the private clinic and met my current rheumy, within 2 mins he told me what was wrong. He run blood tests privately ANA positive 1:320, diagnosed it as UCTD. Started me on steroids and plaquenil, ANA went down to 1:160, then <1:80 then negative over 3-4 months. In the meantime I wanted to save money so I got referral on NHS.

The 3rd rheumy didnt know what was wrong, but wouldnt agree with the diagnosis of the 2nd Rheumy! She referred me to her colleague 4th rheumy who stated you do not have an autoimmune disease and tried to take away my plaquenil. Which I refused. I realised that both of these two were useless. One of them said to me that he considers a titre of 1:80 to be negative.

There was another rheumy I saw once, but that was because I needed more steroids and the 2nd Rheumy was away. He didnt really diagnose me, just wrote out a script.

Nowadays I see the 2nd Rheumy on the NHS and if needed like I have a massive flare up I will see him privatley

Life is not 100%, I get problems like pain today in right elbow and shoulder. However, I can work, function and live a good life. Before I had very little quality of life. I have enormous respect for the 2nd Rheumy. I also completely trust him he has given me back the bulk of my life. I learnt that what he says tends to come true. He said that he doesn't ever think I will be normal again. At some point in the future I maybe able to come off medication is what he said.

Interestingly, he has other patients like me that had problems after vaccines.

Now if you look at my bloods they are completely normal. If my bloods were used to diagnose me then I should be on no medication. The other interesting thing the 2nd rheumy said to me before he took bloods that those with vaccine problems like me, nothing shows in the blood! He was completely right, mine are now negativ

The 2nd Rheumy is excellent he really cares and he looks at the overall picture. I am happy to share his name, but you are from America, I am london based. It would be a long trip here.

Kind regards
    Mark

8. Dolphin94

Dolphin94 New Member

My ANA ranges from 1:160- 1:640, so avg. is 1:320. Wat I don't understand is why Rheum's base dx on ANA level after treatment. ANA of 1:320 with specific sx's should get uctd. The fact it went down proves Connective Tissue. Diabetics get diagnosed pre insulin, so why is ours different ? I hope I can also get at least a dx of UCTD. Hopefully one day, I get a rheum like urs ! :)