1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    If you have any problems resetting your password please just email me joanne@thelupussite.com
    Dismiss Notice

claim esa?

Discussion in 'Social Security / Disability Benefits' started by jayne hall, Jan 30, 2016.

1. jayne hall

jayne hall Member

i saw lady at c a b and she said i should claim esa im told i need a doctors note and an assessement and have to wait 13 weeks
    can anyone tell me what happens at these medicals and what do i have to do/say thanks

2. Evie17

Evie17 Registered

I was on ESA from July 2014 to Feb 2015. They say that you will have to wait 13 weeks but I waited a lot longer. At the medical they ask you lots of questions about your condition what you can do/can't do. They will ask you what you do throughout the day and what housework you can/can't do. They will also do a medical examining your joints and asking you to do certain things such as lift your arms up etc, You need to get a certain amount of points to be able to carry on your claim of ESA. I got no points and when I appealed they rang me up and told me that my appeal was unlikely to succeed so I withdrew it(I have since found out they are not supposed to say that) .Hope this helps and good luck if you do claim Evie17

3. jayne hall

jayne hall Member

looks like it will be a long road then

4. mishmash

mishmash Registered

I was on ESA for about a year. The assessment was a little pointless. As above asked to do some minor exercises, lift arms, bend over, straighten knee. Etc... They really had no idea how lupus effects the body. At the time I was on anti depressants as my mental health was also suffering at the time.

I also got rejected. I think through their lack of knowledge and understanding. I did take it to tribunal. The medical doctor and the guy that are the decision were completely on my side. I stated to them that I understand that it's difficult to understand and they both replied not if you want to understand it's easy, they were very sympathetic. Reinstated my ESA and at the time advised that I claim for DLA which I didn't as couldn't be bothered to go through the whole process again.

I'm not saying all this to scare you but just prepare you as there are a lot of people that do these assessments have no clue what we go through and you can tell they have no care to find out. It's just a tick on the form,but if you rightfully deserve the help Keep going with it as there are people out there that care. Sorry for rambling xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. jayne hall

jayne hall Member

sounds like they dont have a clue then who does the assements? a doctor?

6. mishmash

mishmash Registered

Mine wasn't with a Dr, I think maybe a health advisor/nurse maybe?

They were trying to get occupational therapists to Be involved in these and this would be much better but don't think that has happened as yet :)

Good luck with it all xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk