1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    If you have any problems resetting your password please just email me joanne@thelupussite.com
    Dismiss Notice

Heliocare?

Discussion in 'Complementary therapies' started by PhoenixVoyager, Jan 18, 2017.

1. PhoenixVoyager

PhoenixVoyager New Member

Has anyone ever tried Heliocare? I have discoid lupus and my dermatologist recommended that I try Heliocare as it helps with photo-sensitivity. It's a daily capsule that is supposed to provide some (very limited) sunscreen effects in a pill form. The dermatologist did stress that it does NOT replace sunscreen, or having to cover up, but should help protect the skin (along with sunscreen) from UV effects.

2. x_claire_x

x_claire_x Moderator

I haven't heard of this but to be honest I would rather not take any more pills than I already do... I find the Sunsense F50 does the job for me even in a Caribbean climate...(when I get the chance...lol) . But I also have mctd with sle predominating.....so maybe it is more apt in somebody with Discoid..?

Are you just under the Dermy as it is discoid ? I would be interested to hear what others have to say on this...............Claire

3. Jessica1

Jessica1 Moderator

I suffer with photosensitivity, particularly with artificial light. I've never heard of this so I'd be interested to know if it does help (even if I already rattle when I move from the amount of tablets I take:roflmao:) Got to admit I'm the least optimistic when it comes to this, having struggled for so long though and I'd definitely run it past my Rheumatologist and Dermatologist before trying anything but I'd still be keen to know if it does help when used with other creams...I'm with Claire in the Sunsense Factor 50 fanclub.

Lupusdude likes this.
  4. PhoenixVoyager

PhoenixVoyager New Member

Hi Jessica, it was my dermatologist who recommended it. I did get a bottle and started taking it. Can't say it's helping since I haven't had any symptoms since my diagnosis, but also haven't had any negative effects either.

Of course, I've continued using lots of sunscreen and staying completely covered up including long sleeves, hat and gloves, and even covering my neck with either turtleneck shirts or scarf (only skin showing is part of my face and that has a lot of sunscreen on it). This new dermatologist who recommended the heliocare says he's never seen anyone as covered as I am and that I shouldn't have to be so covered up, just be sure to wear sunscreen, and try to live normally. But my last dermatologist had me so paranoid, I'm still afraid to go outside unless absolutely necessary.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

5. Jessica1

Jessica1 Moderator

It's a difficult call when you feel worried about the consequences, I remember that feeling so well. Hopefully your new dermatologist will help you to find the sensible level you need, it all takes time and patience but at least you're being overcautious and not taking risks.

6. nuriadrian

nuriadrian Registered

Hi all. I have a terrible case of skin lupus and I´m extrimely fotosensitive to natural and artificial light for over 20 years now. I´ve been part of a couple of new medication´s trials here in Spain ... I learned about HelioCare a couple of summers ago. The first year I took it only from April to October, together with sunscreen, and during that time I didn´t have any break-outs, but once I stopped taking it I had a terrible one .... my doctor didn´t know if it was a rebounced from the pills ... So last summer took it again, and after another summer without break-outs, I decided not to stop taking it ... we don´t know if it has something to do with HelioCare, but I haven´t have any break-outs since last April.