1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    If you have any problems resetting your password please just email me joanne@thelupussite.com
    Dismiss Notice

Ligament slippage

Discussion in 'Related Conditions' started by lazylegs, Feb 28, 2017.

1. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

Is anyone else having problems with ligament slippage in their hands? The doctor has diagnosed it starting at the wrist and going down in my little finger but not in the furthest joint. Tomorrow I will be fitted with an oval 8 ring to hold it in place. Not sure how comfortable it will be but it would be nice to not have my finger dislocating.

Take care,
    Lazylegs

2. keebler

keebler Moderator

I haven't had it Lazylegs.
    It doesn't sound to pleasant with your finger dislocating.
    I hope the oval 8 ring takes care of it and it is comfortable.
    Take care,
    Lyn

3. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

Thank you Lyn. The visit to the hand therapist this morning was interesting. Both little fingers are doing it. It is especially common in RA. Supposedly the hand muscles figure into the mix. My grip measurement is almost non-existent. I now have the oval 8 rings and hand exercises.

Take care,
    Lazylegs

4. debatat

debatat Moderator

No, I don't have that problem Lazylegs. It must be annoying. I have contractures in hand, and my fingers won't grip certain objects. However what you have, must be painful and hard to deal with.

5. Jessica1

Jessica1 Moderator

I haven't had it either, Lazylegs but I did dislocate a finger as a child and it was very painful so I sympathise with you. (It was self inflicted though, through frustration at not being able to get my piano practice right!!) I hope it works for you - is it something that can improve or does it just stop it getting worse?

6. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

Jess the only way to tighten the stretched ligaments would be surgery. It isn't considered bad enough to do at this point and the rings should offer the same benefit. Since it apparently stems from the muscle doing the exercises should keep things from progressing.

Deb what is strange is the underside of the finger has begun to contract. The heat, massage and exercise I will be doing for the ligaments will help there also.

Thank you all for your support.

Take care,
    Lazylegs

7. VeeJay

VeeJay Member

WOW, Lazylegs. What a bother this must be for you. What with all the other issues you deal with. At least it isn't treated with yet another med.

I have seen those splints you speak of but hadn't known what they were for. In my ignorance I thought they were to keep arthritic fingers from deformity.

8. mea

mea mea

Sounds awful Lazylegs.

I don't have this either,just the loose grip where i'm always dropping things and cramping if I hold things very long. Hope the rings give you some relief.

9. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

VeeJay the splints may also help with deformity since they hold the finger straight especially if you catch it early.

Mea are you doing any type of exercises to rebuild your hand muscles? Even just squeezing a small dog toy would help. According to the hand therapist it is the loss of muscle that leads to many of the problems she sees.

Take care,
    Lazylegs

10. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

Just an update. The oval 8 rings are fantastic. You hardly notice them as they are close to my skin color. They hold the ligament securely which means no more pain. The only problem is they slip off from time to time as my finger swelling changes or I get them wet. I just have to keep a watchful eye as with my neuropathy I don't feel them slip off. I am buying some spares just in case.

Take care,
    Lazylegs

11. VeeJay

VeeJay Member

I'm glad to hear they work well for you.

12. debatat

debatat Moderator

It is good that you have less pain. Glad you have a solution that works.

13. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

Thank you both.