1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    If you have any problems resetting your password please just email me joanne@thelupussite.com
    Dismiss Notice

Maintaining the house

Discussion in 'Looking Good, Feeling Better' started by VegAthLes, Feb 4, 2014.

1. VegAthLes

VegAthLes Writes often, loves fiercely, drinks coffee.

One of my big challenges is keeping up with the house, especially since I have two little ones (aged 2 and 4) at home. Something that has helped me IMMENSELY. With her method, you set up three routines (morning, afternoon, and before bed), and break the house into zones for deep cleaning. You do a light cleaning once a week, and everything else is cleaned when you're in that zone. So you clean your house throughout the month instead of in one Saturday. She's also a big proponent of taking regular breaks, and focusing on doing just 15 minutes at a time.

It's been incredibly helpful to me in battling fatigue, knowing I don't have to clean the whole house at once, and taking regular breaks! :) Just wanted to share for anyone who might benefit!

2. tuffymason

tuffymason Registered

thanks that is a great tip, I too like a clean and orderly home it helps when I am feeling bad for the house to look good, it's kind of restful or at least allows me to rest without worry.Sandra

3. VegAthLes

VegAthLes Writes often, loves fiercely, drinks coffee.

I know what you mean. If I'm not feeling well and can't do much, it just makes me feel that much worse if the house is chaotic. It reminds me of all the things I'm *not* doing instead of focusing on the things I have accomplished.

4. susane

susane Registered

Please someone help me. I want a clean and orderly house more than anything. Over time with my increasingly harsh illness with the lupus, sjogren's, hypothyroid, and fibromyalgia, I have the worst fatigue. I feel so useless. I just want to have my house clean. I want to do it. I know if I can just have it in order again I can keep it that way with a simpler way of doing things. My problem is now everything is so dirty, junk everywhere. My husband does most of the cooking to help me. He is disabled too, but he has a hard time getting rid of things. It is driving me crazy. We can't afford to have someone come in and clean the house. Even if we could, it would be major for the first few times. We are not exactly hoarders. At least I am not. But I just want to have my house back to liveable. I don't even have family or friends over anymore due to it being in this state. I never thought doing house work and having my house clean and some repairs made to it would be such a big thing to me and such a desire.

I would appreciate anyone's ideas or help in anyway. I feel so embarrassed, because I never before all of these health issues became severe had my house anything but orderly and welcoming to family and friends. I loved having others drop by. I love being a hostess if it's just offering a cup of coffee and piece of cake.

Thanks Everyone,
    It was hard for me to write this.
    Susan :sick::cry::cry:

5. debatat

debatat Moderator

Could you just do a room a day? Write a list of jobs, then tick them off as go, so you get a sense of achievemnent. It helps de clutter the mind as well. Take rests in between. Its amazing how good you feel for even doing just a bit, then you realise you can do something and you will get there.

I know you have a big task ahead of you, but people would be willing to help if you asked I am sure. Offer them refreshments, and they will get stuck in it will give you a start.

6. susane

susane Registered

Deb thank you for your encouragement. That means a lot to me. It feels like just doing one task in a room at a time. I am going to try harder though. I know it does clutter the mind. That is how I feel. :flower:

7. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

Maybe you could just attack one corner or area of the room you spend the most time in. Seeing it clean will make you feel better and may mentally give you the pick me up to try another area the next day.

Take care,
    Lazylegs

8. susane

susane Registered

Yes Lazylegs that is a good idea. Earlier today or yesterday now I did some picking up, some sorting, and throwing out. It was not a anything major, but it was something. It helped me feel better mentally doing it. It would add up over time, if I could hold out doing it before a flare. Maybe it will.

Susan

9. susane

susane Registered

It's been a long time since I wrote in this thread. I do think my body is progressively getting worse, because today I washed dishes by hand, and threw away a couple of things, and picked up a couple of things off the floor. Sewed by hand just one quilt block. None of it added up to a lot, but after dear husband fixed us something to eat, I had to lay down in the bed, and it felt like someone sucked every bit of energy out of every cell in my body. I called my husband in the room, because I seriously felt I could just slip away. No pain, just that tired.

susane

10. Jessica1

Jessica1 Moderator

Hello susane,
    Does your Rheumy know that you feel you're getting worse? Is there something that can be done to tweak your meds to help you? It's so frustrating isn't it when your mind wants you to keep going but your body just won't.

11. Bane

Bane Member

I like your technique, but i prefer doing it one by one. Don't like the clutter in the house Good Luck!!

12. susane

susane Registered

Yes, I too hate clutter. I never lived in a house with clutter as now. I pray to have the strength to at some point get this under control. I can manage things slowly once I could have a normal house again. It is very frustrating.

susane