1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    If you have any problems resetting your password please just email me joanne@thelupussite.com
    Dismiss Notice

Rheumatologist Wrong?

Discussion in 'Not Diagnosed Yet?' started by WNYGirl, Apr 5, 2017.

1. WNYGirl

WNYGirl New Member

So I had my second appointment with the rheumatologist. After another thorough exam, she offered PT and a cortisone injection for my shoulder, a slip for bloodwork, and "see ya in a year!" I pressed her for a general idea of what she thinks I have, and she tells me osteoarthritis. I am 49. Osteoarthritis typically affects the elderly. This diagnosis completely ignores all of my other symptoms, like fatigue, headaches, hair loss, rashes, fevers, occasional abdominal pain with chills, and more. Feel defeated. I have more symptoms than my cousin, who has been diagnosed with lupus, and goes to this same Doctor. Neither of us has any had positive bloodwork to date. If it's not lupus, what is it? This has been going on most of my life (although the rashes are relatively new). It would be so much easier to deal with if I had a diagnosis I could agree with. Def not RA...my sister has that, and she has swelling and nodules, which I do not have. What to do now???

2. momgoncrzy

momgoncrzy Registered

I got my lupus diagnosis by having my rash biopsied by a dermatologist. Could that be an option for you? I don't think I would have gotten my diagnosis if it wasn't for the biopsy.

3. WNYGirl

WNYGirl New Member

Yes, we discussed that, and she said to call her if I get another rash and she will get me into a dermatologist. That may be my only hope. I just feel like I've researched everything this could possibly be, and lupus is the only real match I keep coming up with. I work in the medical field also.

4. x_claire_x

x_claire_x Moderator

If you have osteoarthritis then it would be wear and tear of the joints but does not fit with the rest of the symptoms...have you any chance of a second opinion ? If so get prepared...write a daily diary of symptoms pain grading them each day and describing how it affects you normal activities of daily living etc...note the weather each day and take photos of anything visible etc.

I always find that it is interesting that they may dismiss Lupus but have no proper answers of what else it could be then....have you had x rays confirming osteoarthritis for example ?

It can be very frustrating getting a diagnosis auto immune or not, but you know your own body so keep plodding forward and asking for answers.

All the best............Claire

5. Jewels59

Jewels59 Jewels59

I had my Rheumatologist tell me that I have Sjogrens, asked him why I have alot of Lupus symptoms like headaches, joint aches and pains, several late term miscarriages, kidney problems, sun sensitive rashes, fatigue, brain fog, etc. He tells me about overlapping, but I only have Sjogrens. The dermatologist tells me that my rash is definitely Lupus, but my Rheumatologist still tells me no? Went to him today because his office called me to come in, still acts like I am wasting his time.......What do you do?

6. x_claire_x

x_claire_x Moderator

Change Rheumy ? or get your Dermy to biopsy you asap ?

7. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

I agree with Claire. A second opinion never hurts.

8. Upstater

Upstater New Member

I would get established with a dermatologist now. Even if you don't have a rash. Explain your skin symptoms. And perhaps you can get an agreement that if you develop a rash, you could get in quickly for the biopsy while it's active. That's what I did with my dermatologist. There is also something called a lupus band test - that I don't know that much about - that I think can be done even if you don't have a rash. You could mention to dermatologist.

I had what sounds like a similar situation with my shoulder - which I don't know t be related to any of my autoimmune issues. It was diagnosed as impingement. I did do PT. In my case it was not helpful. I had a cortisone shot by a PA, which did not help. And then he referred me to an ortho surgeon who gave me another cortisone injection and that did the trick. X-ray was negative and MRI just showed some small tears, but from what I understand can just be wear and tear. Also 49 years old when this happened.

I've since been diagnosed with discoid lupus (skin biopsy) and undifferentiated connective tissue disease (labwork and symtpoms). Was it related? Maybe, though I am leaning more toward not.