1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    If you have any problems resetting your password please just email me joanne@thelupussite.com
    Dismiss Notice

Switching to Methotrexate.... Very nervous.

Discussion in 'Medications' started by ByrdsBaby, Mar 16, 2017.

1. ByrdsBaby

ByrdsBaby New Member

Hello all. I have been reading posts on this sight for over a year now. Find it comforting to know others feel as I do. Haven't posted anything myself until now.... I was finally diagnosed with Lupus a little over a year ago. Wasn't horribly surprised since my Granny and Aunt had it. And since I've been falling apart for the past at least 5yrs it was nice to know ok this is why. Fast forward to November when my Rheumy says 3 diff times at 1 appt that he wants me to read about & get comfortable with the idea of Methotrexate bc the Plaquenil just isn't cutting it. He said we would wait till May bc I was having surgery on my foot literally the day after this appt. The past 4 1/2 months have been terrible! And in the past month I've had 2 of my other docs say it's time to make the switch. Been lots of joint pain & swelling, Malar rash has been getting worse, sleeping 12hrs a night but not really sleeping toss & turning ALL night can't get comfy cause my whole body hurts, feels like I'm freezing most of the time & ive been crying for weeks bc I've finally hit my limit of what I can take, and even just riding in the car the sun is making me horribly nauseous & giving me a migraine not to mention the rash the sun gives me if I let it touch my skin . Anyways my main reason for posting is someone please tell me that Methotrexate was the answer to your prayers. I'm scared to death more of my hair is gonna fall out already lost what feels half of it and I'm scared to gain more weight & ive seen some people say it made them gain. Would greatly appreciate any of your experience.

2. Jessica1

Jessica1 Moderator

Hello ByrdsBaby, I hope I can allay your fears a little. I have been taking Methotrexate for about 6 years and this was added to Plaquenil because, like you, it just wasn't quite cutting it for me. My Rheumy had given me short tapering doses of steroids and when I responded to these he decided that it would be a good idea to try Methotrexate.

I admit that I was really nervous of this and he had given me information to read about before deciding if I wanted to try it or not. I think I put it off for about 3 months because the idea of having to make the decision made me feel it was a bit too scary to do. Anyway, I took the leap and it has actually made all the difference to me.

I know we're all different and respond differently, I'm quite lucky with meds that I don't tend to suffer side effects, but I'm glad I went on the treatment. It's closely monitored by regular blood tests so if there is any cause for concern it would be picked up quickly. I obviously can't make the decision for you but hope that if you do decide to go ahead with the med that you get the positive results that I have.
    Take care,

3. ByrdsBaby

ByrdsBaby New Member

Thanks for your experience. I went today & we talked a lot about where to go from here. I was 5mins away from a full blown anxiety attack waiting for him to come in the room. But he discussed it all with me at length & asked what I'd like to do. He also said bc I'm also hyper mobile he'd be ok with putting me on daily steroids along with the 400mg of Plaquenil & see how I do with that versus tapering steroids as needed. Bc the Methotrexate won't help wit the joint pain caused by the hypermobility, diff kinda joint pain then the kind my lupus gives me. Told him I'm an overachiever I get to have two diff kinds of joint pain. Lol. So for now I'm happy with at least trying this. Definitely gives me less anxiety.

Jessica1 likes this.