1st preg M/C twins:( | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

1st preg M/C twins:(

Discussion in 'Living with lupus' started by Bella86, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Bella86

Bella86 Registered

Hi everyone,
    So glad I found this website:

Two weeks ago they ran some blood tests because I m/c my first pregnancy at 11 weeks.
    They saw I had:
    -Positive ANA speckled at 2560
    -Positive DSDNA 19
    -Negative ESR/Inflammation
    -Lupus Anticoagulants in my blood – means positive for APS

Although, absolutely NO symptoms. I have a big family on both of my parents side and no one has any autoimmune disease or ever M/C.

They tested again 2weekslater, and I showed the following:
    -Positive ANA speckled at 2560
    -Positive DSDNA 50
    -Negative ESR/Inflammation
    -Lupus Anticoagulants in my blood – means positive for APS

The rheumatologist that I saw, couldn’t say if I have lupus or not. I am scared and worried. Should I start trying for a baby again?
    The rheumatologist just put me on aspirin for APS but no other meds.
    My kidney urine test comes back normal too.

I am scared that my brain or heart or lungs are being effected and I don’t know about it.

Does anyone have any advise, what would you do if you were in this position. I really need help. I don’t know anything about lupus and all my life I hardly even get the flu. I am so scared:

2. cally

cally Registered

It is very easy in this situation to be scared and to look all over the internet for information, be very careful about what you read, a lot of it is very outdated and wrong in many cases!

Have you had your blood pressure/heart rate checked? Are you experiencing any shortness of breath etc? If not chances are your heart is ticking along nicely (I am not medically qualified so don't just take my word). It is quite unusual to have serious organ damage with lupus, you will find a much higher proportion of the people seriously affected by lupus on this website, most others are off enjoying life and have no time for forums! With no inflammatory markers it would suggest that inflammation is at a minimum in your body. You can have the bloods you have and be ok health wise, of course you could not be as well.

I think you should seek some advice form your rheumy (you can call and leave a message to be called back) about trying for a baby, it may be they want to wait and see how your bloods are.

When are you due to go back to see your rheumy? In the mean time I think you should discuss your concerns with your GP, they are a good sounding block for your problems and should hopefully be able to reassure you.

I'm sure someone else will be along with much better advice soon. Take care and keep us updated with your journey.

Cally xx

3. keebler

keebler Moderator

Hi Bella,

First of all take a deep breath.

I am sorry to read about your miscarriage of your twins.:hug:

Was this your first visit with your rhumey? Usually they don't diagnose a person in the first visit. They like to run their own lab tests. When are you suppose to go back? You need to talk to your rhumey or your gyn doctor about whether or not to go ahead and try for another baby. With having APS you will have a close eye on you. They will give you the best information because they know all of your case and what is going on.

Please try not to worry about lupus going after your organs. Worrying causes stress which means pain for us.
    Looking in the future for what is going to happen with ones health, no one knows. Even the average person off of the street doesn't know what their health future is. I understand why you worry though.:hug:

Please don't be scared you have all of us here to help you. Let us know how you are doing.
    Love,
    Lyn

4. Maia

Maia Registered

I'm very sorry for your loss. Without any symptoms, then you should not be diagnosed with lupus. Sometimes, pregnancy can alter many different blood test results but I'm not sure if the ANA and dsDNA are among them. So as hard as it is to take that wait and see approach, I do believe that is the best way to go for now. You will definitely want to ask your OBgyn about the blood clotting antibody that you tested positive for, although I know that can be altered by a recent pregnancy and/or miscarriage so you will probably have to wait a few months and retest that one to try to determine if you should be treated during your next pregnancy to try to prevent clots in the placenta.

Keep getting monitored, and chances are very strong that you will most definitely know if your organs/joints/heart/lungs are being affected. It's pretty unlikely that damage would occur without you recognizing it (the exception being kidney issues which can be silent for a while but they will also eventually bring about symptoms that you would recognize as requiring a trip to the doctor).

Good luck to you - and my best advice to you is to stay in contact with your doctors, ask questions as they come up, and do your best not to worry too much until or unless additional symptoms pop up. Even if you do end up with a lupus diagnosis it's really not the end of the world. A new set of issues to deal with, but life does go on (for a normal lifespan too I might add!) and for the majority of lupus patients it's a pretty normal life filled with family and work!