64 Blood Tests - Have you had any of these? | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

64 Blood Tests - Have you had any of these?

Discussion in 'Tests and Procedures' started by chal23, Sep 1, 2016.

1. chal23

chal23 Registered

64 Blood Tests.. it's a new record for me. I've had SLE and secondary Raynaud/Sjogren for 13 years and never in my life have I had this much bloodwork ordered. This doesn't include panels or the UA, just standard tests. I've looked up several of them and am confused as to why I am being tested.

My ? to the forum is, has anyone been tested for these items:

PSA Screening
    PSA diagnostic
    ALL the cancer tests
    HIV
    HIV Load (?) (and no, I don't have HIV.)
    Digoxin (I don't take heart meds)

I've googled as any good Lupie does.. but it doesn't make sense to me?

ML to all!
    C

2. x_claire_x

x_claire_x Moderator

PSA is usually for prostate probs I thought ? But it could stand for something else so not sure on that one.
    Maybe the others are done as a screen as you have had sle for awhile, just to make sure your immune system being suppressed isn't messing with other processes in your body.

Other than that I am as confused as you ! Maybe somebody else will come along with some insight and clarity...sorry I am not much help ..........Claire

3. mark176

mark176 Active Member

Hi

I have no idea why he is testing for Digoxin. That would be an interesting question. I would love to know the answer. Digoxin test measures the level of digoxin in the blood and yes its a drug from the digitoxin family (fox gloves) plants.

The cancer tests I can understand as cancer is a chronic infection the same as HIV the immune system can do strange things and they can send a rheumatologist off the scent. Many symptoms of cancer can mimic autoimmune.

My own case was so weird that at one point my rheumatologist ordered a PET-CT scan to check for cancer in the body. Once that came back clear it led him to the conclusion of autoimmune.

What I don't understand is why he didn't test for lyme, TB, Hep B and possibly Hep C. All of these are chronic infections. It may be that he previously tested for these.

4. chal23

chal23 Registered

Thank you for your responses. It's crazy to think about, then again, we never know what life will throw at us with Lupus!

5. coffeegirl18

coffeegirl18 New Member

Wow and I thought my doc orders a lot of tests. I originally had a blood test every month, now it's every three and it was about four vials each time (I thought that was a lot lol).

I've had none of these tests. You should definitely have a basic blood panel done and ESR and ANA tests done. It sometimes pops up on the ANA that you have lupus. If it does get a referral from that doctor to a rheumatologist. If you've already done that...it's bizarre they're ordering that many tests. Speak up if they seem odd or unreasonable. I ask my doctor 40 questions about tests and results plus anything he's adding on to my treatment. He's happy I'm so interested and involved in my health.