A lovely veggie soup/stew | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

A lovely veggie soup/stew

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Katharine, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Katharine

Katharine Registered

By chance I saw one of the "Nigel Slater's simple suppers" programmes the other day and he made this

from here http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/nigelsadaptablebeans_92230.shtml

It is absolutely DELICIOUS... I served it with freshly baked soda bread instead of ciabatta.

Obviously the orange peel, parmesan rind and bay leaf are removed before serving. I didn't have any chards - not quite the season - but it was delicious all the same. I also put chicken cut into cubes in it as I have a hungry, meat loving husband. It is still a very "healthy" recipe and really worth trying.

2. keebler

keebler Moderator

Thank you for sharing Katharine.

It does sound very yummy.:eat:

Love,
    Lyn

3. Lily

Lily Registered

Sounds very yummy and healthy Katharine :bigsmile: I had to look up what chard was :lol: here we call it silverbeet :)

With winter coming up for me I will be trying it out - it's still very hot here :shrug: 30C here today!

love
    Lily

4. Katharine

Katharine Registered

I had to look it up too Lily as I only knew what it was in French :rotfl:

5. greenhaggis

greenhaggis Registered

Well, I think its time to go shopping...I'll let you know what I think once I've tasted it!

6. greenhaggis

greenhaggis Registered

Soup, cooked and tasted...lovely!!!

7. Katharine

Katharine Registered

Already!!! That was fast :lol:

Yes it is lovely and, for a soup, incredibly refreshing. I think it's the orange. It's also SO easy to cook; even within my ability!

Katharine

8. rishard

rishard Registered

just put it in the soup db I keep. Right up my alley

9. Pink Pearl

Pink Pearl Registered

It does sound good. I find I prefer the carrots done on my mandoline using the julienne blade. I am not a fan of cooked carrots, so this way I get the benefit of them, without having a large mouthful of them.

Katharine, would you share your soda bread recipe? Pretty, pretty please? I've not made it before, but am very interested as I love that type of recipe. Having to keep to a gluten free diet, I can convert if needed, but need a good recipe to start with.
    If it is a yeast recipe, do you have the table to convert from metric to "American?" If not, I'll have to "google" it. Thank you very, very, very much!!!!!!!!!!!

To make/keep this vegetarian, could add in extra firm tofu cubes.
    Sally

I find I far prefer to grow the white chard, as the rhubarb [chard] bleeds so badly. The white does away with this problem. I also prefer to the golden beets as they don't bleed either and have a more mild/sweet flavor. Personal preference. Both these are easy to grow. Lily, most chard can be grown over the winter as long as the ground doesn't remain "heaved" for long periods. Plant a fall crop in late summer/early autumn.

10. Katharine

Katharine Registered

The soda bread recipe is already on the site Sally :) There is no yeast in soda bread just bicarbonate of soda and some baking powder (I'm not sure this last is in all recipes but I use it). All the measurements are in "spoons' :lol: