Acupuncture | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Acupuncture

Discussion in 'Complementary therapies' started by pouncer, Jan 31, 2010.

1. pouncer

pouncer Registered

Just wondering if any of you have tried acupuncture for pain and sleep? If so, how effective is it? Would you recommend it? I'm just sick of feeling this way and am desparate and looking for alternatives.

2. Katharine

Katharine Registered

Hi there :)

I haven't yet tried it but have a friend who is an acupuncturist and am going to go and chat with him this week to see if he thinks it can help. One of my "worries" with acupuncture is that it is not very well reimbursed here so I'm not sure about that aspect but we'll see. I suppose that the main thing is I'd like to try and find something that helps without having to go onto strong painkillers in addition to all the other meds I already take.

I think it's important to make sure that the acupuncturist does know exactly what illness you have and what he's dealing with.

I'll let you know what he says and then, if I try, if it helps.

Katharine

3. Lost'n'Lupus

Lost'n'Lupus Registered

Hi,

A friend of mine who also has lupus tried acupuncture. She found it did not work for her, but she also had great difficulty in finding someone who would treat her. Strangely enough, for her, she found that reflexology worked. She didn't know if it was a psychosomatic thing or if it really worked. Her words were "(I) don't care why or how it works. It makes (me) feel better and that is enough". I tried reflexology but noticed nothing. Perhaps it is different for everyone.
    Sue

4. x_claire_x

x_claire_x Moderator

Hiya.. i have had acupuncture and still do, now once a month and have found it helpful in general.. I also do have reflexology on occasion but personally found that that made no difference.. I also have tried homeopathy (not sure that helped...) and also reiki, which I love enough to have now trained in it! I think that helps you achieve an inner calm which helps the lupus and I have totally rethought my life and changed direction. I think these things are certainly all helpful in their own way, but it is an individual thing too..... I would say that the acupuncture and reiki have been the most helpful.... I wish you luck on your treatments!
    Claire X