Advice Please! | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice Please!

Discussion in 'Social Security / Disability Benefits' started by sadieone, Nov 15, 2009.

1. sadieone

sadieone Registered

Hello,

I haven't been in here for a long while but i do know the people here are great.
    I need your advice.

I have an opportunity to take online classes. There is Tuition, under $2000.00 dollars but my husband lost his job. Don't know what i should do.

I applied to SSDI a month ago and they are working on my application. Just recently they are accepting people with autoimmune diseases so i'm praying i will be accepted. A couple of years ago I applied and was denied because i didn't have a mental issue. They did not have autoimmune disease on their list of disabilities at that time.

My husband has always provided generously over the yrs. but i have always felt a need for some independence, SSDI or a job.

Since i have been diagnosed 5 yrs ago i have been looking for work at home jobs. I have been selling unwanted cd's and dvd's from home, have done surveys online and such. I have never felt able enough to go out and get a job PT or FT.

Recently, my husband lost his job and we are without any income. this is one of the reasons i have applied to SSDI again. But I have also found and interest in applying for online classes to become a medical transcriptionist and Medical Biller. I have had some experience wiht it just before i was diagnosed but no formal training. Reasons i find it to be interesting :

i'm always in doctors office, i can get work
    It can go with me no matter what state we end up in wiht husbands new job.
    I can work at home #1 reason
    even when i'm sick i can type
    medical billing i can come in possibly once a week to an office
    It can help me keep my mind in order

I probably have more reasons but for now thats it.

As i said before the tuition for this 4month training is (to me) not to expensive to repay except we don'nt have enough to pay all the bills now , mainly just mortgage.
    The school offers low monthly payments with no interest ever. If we cut down on one thing we can make the monthly payments.
    My thinking is 1. my husband, prayerfully will get a job soon. He has been on interviews and daily applies for jobs. 2. after 4mos. i can start bringing in extra money to help pay for some of the bills as well pay this tuition off.

i've checked about SSDI and working and i think i can work with their rules.

I just dont want my husband to bare all the burden of taking care of his disabled wife along with everything else. He is 61 and i'm 47, this is the stress we don't need at our age.

Your thoughts are welcome.

Thank You

2. Jennannshear

Jennannshear Registered

:sorry: I am so sorry to hear about all your going through.. I am not sure I can be of some help but I will keep you all in my thoughts.. My husband lost his job a year ago and I was working peddly hours but when he lost his job I felt the urge to make up for the lack of income and eventually society had me workign part time then full time and boy did I get into the nastiest flare up .. so my only advice is that you try to remember your lupus and do not over do it.. Easier said then done.. I know. As for the SSDI, I surely hope your approved this go around.. and that your able to go to school.. that would be great! With out any income and the like do you think you could qualify for free aid?? Call the financial aid department and inquire.. maybe they have other programs that can help you. I hope someone on here can offer more advie then I can.. but I wanted to chime in to let you know I would be thinking of you ((((((((((HUGS TO YOU))))))))))

3. sadieone

sadieone Registered

Thanks Jennannshear,

I can use all the help i can get. Actually you have been helpful. Public assistance i never thought of. Thank You.

By the way i was notice you are from upstate ny. I was born and raised in Albany NY,, stilll have family in schnectady and troy.

4. greenhaggis

greenhaggis Registered

Hi nice to hear from you again!

Can't help with you with your query, but just wanted to pop-in and say hello!