Alfalfa | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Alfalfa

Discussion in 'Complementary therapies' started by MichX3, Feb 12, 2017.

?

Would taking a multivitamin everyday that contains alfalfa cause more harm than good?

Poll closed Feb 12, 2019.
  1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. MichX3

MichX3 New Member

My sister has been diagnosed with Lupus, and I want to get her some supplements since I feel this is the only way that I can help her. Through my research I have learned that people who have Lupus should avoid alfalfa because it contains the amino acid L-canavanine. The multivitamin/mineral supplements that I am interested in purchasing for her contain some sort of blend that contains alfalfa. Would taking a multivitamin everyday that contains some amount of alfalfa cause more harm than good?

Thanks for any insight.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    Penny Mathieu likes this.
  2. Lupusdude

Lupusdude Registered

Hi, and welcome!
    First off, it's very kind of you to want to help your sister, but be aware that for her, offering your advice may have a deleterious affect on her mood. Especially in the early years of a diagnosis. Everyone is different however and a lot depends on her willingness to accept help. Just being there and listening right now may be the best that you can do.
    Secondly, it is true that alfalfa has induced lupus in laboratory rats and health gurus recommend avoiding it. However, the amount you're talking about in a multi-vitamin would be negligible even if it was a harmful substance.
    Lastly, why don't you ask your sister first if she needs anything. If she says no, then don't do it. Adjusting to a chronic illness, especially one like lupus, is complicated at the least. Let her go at her own speed.
    Take care, Joe

Penny Mathieu and VeeJay like this.
  3. omen

omen FKA Clare.T

It's great that you want to help your sister. Loneliness, lack of understanding and downright nastiness are very often experienced from the very people who should be offering constructive support and real practical help.
    Offering her supposed treatments puts a bad dynamic into your relationship.

The best way you can help your sister is to encourage her to seek the best lupus expert doctors and spend your money on that instead of supplements which won't have any real disease modifying effect. Learn how lupus is affecting her; read up about it on reliable sites and read about treatments.
    Take her out for some fun.

Encourage her to eat a heart-healthy diet and gradually cut out junk and processed foods and all that, for general health and well being, and encourage her to exercise as much as she can, but don't play doctor.

The sooner lupus is correctly treated the better the outcome.
    (Of course if there is a proven deficiency that has to be corrected).

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2017
    Penny Mathieu and lazylegs like this.
  4. omen

omen FKA Clare.T

I meant 'help' above. I can't see how to edit posts.

5. wolf1

wolf1 Registered

It's best to eat a healthy diet than taking suppliments. There's news today on yahoo news uk saying that the only thing that vitamins do for u is giving you expensive urine.
    Please check with your doctor or rheumy before taking anything outside the meds you are given.
    All the best and keep safe.
    Wolf1

Penny Mathieu and keebler like this.