ANA Titer & dsDNA TESTS | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

ANA Titer & dsDNA TESTS

Discussion in 'Tests and Procedures' started by tiredteacher, Nov 18, 2017.

1. tiredteacher

tiredteacher New Member

Hello all-

I’ve had some health issues going on and my blood work at my PCP came back with an ANA titer of 1:320 dense fine speckled pattern. I was referred to rheum and on that first blood test with them, the titer remained at 1:320 and the dsDNA result says “38” but does not say positive or negative- next to it is a referral range of “0-300”. Can anyone shed some light on this? TIA!

2. tiredteacher

tiredteacher New Member

My follow up appt isn’t for 3 weeks and I can’t find anything online for reference. ☹️

3. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

It is difficult to say as values vary from one lab to another. In reading it also appears age is a factor. This would be a good question for your rheumy.

Take care,
    Lazylegs

4. tiredteacher

tiredteacher New Member

Thank you, Lazylegs, for your reply. I was hoping someone might have the same result type on their Labs and could tell me what their rheumy has said about it. You know how torturous the wait is between the first blood draws and and the rheumy appt ;). I am very curious if that is considered positive or negative. Thanks again for the reply!

5. Ann2

Ann2 Registered

Hi tired teacher. Your positive ANA result does possibly point to an auto immune condition. As Lazylegs says different labs have different test ranges. Did they also test for other things, like ENA complements etc.
    There are so many different auto-immune conditions. Hopefully your Rheumy will get to the bottom of it soon.

best wishes Ann2

6. tiredteacher

tiredteacher New Member

Thanks for the reply, Ann2! She had me tested for a ton of things, but the only things that I can tell were abnormal were ANA Titer, low Vit D (10), and then the dsDNA I think is in the “low positive”. I hate being in the grey area because I have a feeling she’s going to say something like- I have something autoimmune going on but she can’t tell yet, so we will wait and retest in a few months. It would just be nice to have a yes/no answer from her. But I guess that’s what we all want lol!

7. Christine63

Christine63 New Member

I have neg ANA but had high positive ds dna above 90 and consistently positive chromatin then next time my ds dna was down to 13 which is considered neg although she said it was positive It's all so confusing. My Rheumy says maybe lupus but not ready to diagnose but she did diagnose RA and is treating me as if I have both. I'm on 400 mg plaqunil. SE eBay blood says in Feb although she says won't test my auto anti bodies again.