Anti-DsDNA question | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Anti-DsDNA question

Discussion in 'Not Diagnosed Yet?' started by lwohl219, May 1, 2020.

1. lwohl219

lwohl219 New Member

Dear all,

I was recently referred to a rheumatologist for "a low level of suspicion for lupus or another connective tissue disease" due to two years of unexplained symptoms. My symptoms include intense fatigue, migraines and headaches, peripheral neuropathy, GI symptoms, muscle aches, hair thinning, extremely cold fingers and toes, and just general intolerance to cold.

I am a 25 year old woman with well-controlled type 1 diabetes and hashimotos hypothyroidism, so I already have two autoimmune conditions.

All of my blood results have come back normal except for iron deficiency, my ANA which was 1:640, and an indeterminate anti-dsDNA, which was 8.

My rheumatologist said that my anti-dsDNA is nothing to worry about, and my ANA is likely due to my other autoimmune issues (despite the fact that I have never had a high ANA before in my 17 years of living with these other conditions).

My question is - should I be satisfied with this answer and go on my merry way? Does an indeterminate anti-dsDNA of 8 not mean anything?

Thank you for any input.

All the best!
    Liza

2. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

Hi Liza,

The rheumatologist is correct when they say the ANA could be due to the two other diseases. They would be more inclined to think it was something else if the anti-dsDNA was positive. The problem here is only a certain percentage of people are positive. Another complication is the iron deficiency. I am dealing with it now and have some of the same symptoms. Did the doctor say anything about Raynaud's https://www.thelupussite.com/lupus_symptoms/raynauds_disease_phenomenon.html?

You can always get a second opinion if you are uncomfortable with your appointment.

Take care,
    Lazylegs

3. x_claire_x

x_claire_x Moderator

Hiya... just as an aside...did they check your anti-rnp... if you are getting raynauds it is good to test for Mixed Connective Tissue Disease (MCTD) at the same time as the other bloods ?

4. MissDaisy 1

MissDaisy 1 Member

My anti-DSDNA came in indeterminate and I eventually was diagnosed with Overlap Syndrome aka Rhupus. I have both RA and Lupus. Perhaps something will finally show its face eventually. Good luck!