AntiDNA results 16 | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

AntiDNA results 16

Discussion in 'Not Diagnosed Yet?' started by Boost19, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Boost19

Boost19 New Member

Hi! We’re going through some hospital records I found that I had a positive ANA and an anti-DNA test with the result showing out of range with a a total of 16. No doctors ever told me anything about this. My testing had been for liver issues which turned out fine. My only other issue is severe slow transit constipation. Do you think that means I have lupus? I saw these Friday night and am stressing until I can call the Doctor tomorrow so any advice would be great!

2. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

Lupus is not always easy to diagnose. The doctor looks for certain criteria to be met, the bloods only being one of them. The following link gives the criteria https://www.thelupussite.com/lupus_diagnosis_tests/diagnosing_lupus.html.

When speaking with the doctor I wouldn't come out and ask if you have Lupus. Some doctors will get their backs up if they think you are self diagnosing from the internet. Asking what the out of range numbers mean would be more appropriate. In the meantime try not to stress. Concentrate on something else to take your mind off of the results until you speak with the doctor.

Take care,
    Lazylegs

MissDaisy 1 likes this.
  3. Ann2

Ann2 Registered

lazylegs has given you good advice. Also different labs had different criteria for reporting on blood tests, so a reading of 16 on your anti-DNA may not necessarily be a cause of concern if other symptoms were not present.

MissDaisy 1 likes this.
  4. Lupusdude

Lupusdude Registered

I would be ecstatic to get my anti-dna even close to 16! I can do things to eliminate my inflammation, but my rheumy still wants my anti-dna lower than 100. (It’s been as high as 2000 in the past.) So he put me back on Benlysta. This seems to work, but I’m not too happy with the potential side effects. I guess I should be grateful that there is something available that will help, right? (rhetorical question) Ugh!