Anyone heard of taking these meds for Lupus skin complaints?? | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone heard of taking these meds for Lupus skin complaints??

Discussion in 'Medications' started by Nikita, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Nikita

Nikita Member

I found this whilst researching Lupus rash and thought I'd show my Rheumy as i am intolerant to Plaquenil. Is anyone else using these types of creams? Are they effective?

How cutaneous lupus is treated
    The medications used to treat lupus-related skin conditions depends on the form of cutaneous lupus. The most common treatments are topical ointments, such as steroid cream or gel. In some cases liquid steroids will be injected directly into the lesions.

A new class of drugs, called topical immunomodulators, can treat serious skin conditions without the side effects found in corticosteroids: tacrolimus ointment (ProtopicĀ®) and pimecrolimus cream (ElidelĀ®) have been shown to suppress the activity of the immune system in the skin, including the butterfly rash, subacute cutaneous lupus, and possibly even discoid lupus lesions.

In addition, thalidomide (ThalomidĀ®) has been increasingly accepted as a treatment for the types of lupus that affect the skin; it has been shown to greatly improve cutaneous lupus that has not responded to other treatments.