Applied! | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Applied!

Discussion in 'Social Security / Disability Benefits' started by funnyfarm, Feb 2, 2012.

1. funnyfarm

funnyfarm Registered

I finally resigned myself to the fact that I am in fact disabled, so I reluctantly went on line and applied for SSDI on Monday, mailed the papers on Tuesday and got a interview appointment for today (Thursday)! EEEKK!!!! I am terrified. Anyone have any quick advice for me? They call me in an hour!
    Kerry

2. RebekahC

RebekahC Registered

Hi Kerry,

Just wanted to wish you the very best for your phone appointment. I will be thinking of you.

Hugs,
    Rebekah xx

3. ElephantEyes

ElephantEyes Registered

How did you get on?

4. funnyfarm

funnyfarm Registered

Well one thing is for sure, they certainly do not make you feel at ease! In fact, I felt like I was under a microscope and by the time we ended our call I felt like some kind of a criminal. I have been feeling sorta down all day actually, like I am a loser.
    This was phase one of my journey, according to the old dodger I spoke to today he tells of many many more calls like his to me from a variety of different offices. No doubt they all will be "cross examining" me looking for lies or whatever. Sheesh...

5. Hi Kerry,

Did you get your health issues sorted?

There have always been scammers trying to collect disability benefits. Evidently there are more, currently, due to the high the unemployment rate. You should have pretty convincing dr backup which is part of the process. Does prior work history count? Persevere.

6. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

Hi Kerry,

In future calls make sure to stress how Lupus affects your daily life. It would be wise to make a list of functions you can no longer do easily such as reaching, squatting, lifting over 5 pounds, opening cans, doing buttons and so on. These types of things will create a clearer picture for the interviewer. Also don't be surprised if you are asked to see one of their doctors, especially if you claimed memory issues.

Good luck,
    Lazylegs

7. funnyfarm

funnyfarm Registered

Thanks for the tips! I am going to have another appointment with a medical examiner and so I will be sure to be ready for that one. This last call was mostly pertaining to our finances, which sorta annoyed me like somehow I am going to be penalized for owning anything. I did not realize there was a financial requirement as well as a medical need. Learning my way along this thing for sure! I figure worse comes to worse they deny me and then I have to get a lawyer etc..

8. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

Hi Kerry,

The financial part is to see if you qualify for any other benefits such as Medicaid or help with prescription costs.

This is one exam you don't want to go in all dressed up for. Let any rash go uncovered if possible so the doctor can see them in all their glory and the same for your nails. You want the doctor to be able to see any discoloration.

Take care,
    Lazylegs