Asbestos and lupus | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Asbestos and lupus

Discussion in 'Lupus News, Awareness and Research' started by Maia, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Maia

Maia Registered

Years ago, I read some articles linking exposure to asbestos with an increased incidence of positive ANA and autoimmune diseases in people (and especially lupus). I read an article today of a study examining a special population of people (those who lived in Libby, Montana which had a HUGE exposure to asbestos from a nearby mine) but who subsequently left the town of Libby after high school. There is only one brief paragraph about lupus/autoimmune diseases in this article but I hope the research can provide some answers when done.

Here is the link for anyone who may be interested:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100604/ap_on_bi_ge/us_asbestos_study

2. Barb G

Barb G Registered

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Vermiculite was once used in potting soil mixes (before they knew how harmful it was). I bought countless bags of it to mix into the potting soil I used for my jungle of houseplants. I remember well the flurry of fine particles floating through the air when handling it. My children were exposed as well ....

Barb

3. Trindy

Trindy Registered

Interesting.

Trindy

4. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

Asbestos was the big thing when I was growing up. It will be interesting to see what the future testing results will be.

Thanks for the post,
    Lazylegs

5. pippa10

pippa10 Registered

When I lived at home long before I got married we had an open fire and my dad blocked it up to put in a gas fire (they were all the go in the 60s). He used a sheet of Asbestos to block it with he said if ever there was a fire it wouldn't catch because of it. It was just my dad and my-self at home we lived with the Asbestos for years. I got my dad to take it out after I was maried and moved back home with my hubby before my first child was born. I was dx with copd in March I believe thatr the asbestos had something to do with me having lung probs I never connected it to the Lupus.

6. greenhaggis

greenhaggis Registered

Hi, Its great to aritcles relating to asbestos and illness.

My house has Asbestolux in the roof, left alone/undisturbed pretty harmless...but has to removed with caution.

What every does need to remember though there are many forms or asbestos, to the boards used as plates to rest irons on, pieces in fireplaces, school internal roof tiles...those are mainly Asbestolux and then there are the really dangerous forms of it.

I'm sure though that even the less harmful ones do have an impact of someones health, though as we all have different levels of tollerance to things we breath and come into contact with its hard to know who has been effected.

7. KarolH

KarolH Registered

Very Interesting article and the end results should prove to be interesting.