Benlysta | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Benlysta

Discussion in 'Living with lupus' started by Lupusdude, Jul 4, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Lupusdude

Lupusdude Registered

Hi all,
    As some of know, I tried reducing my meds and did well for a while.
    However life came along and with my wife having major back surgery and yours truly taking care of her, lupus raised its ugly head. My rheumy wanted to put me back on prednisone, but the long term effects of that have begun to take hold. I've become one of the ten percent that develop prediabetes and have no body fat to lose. This makes all the dietary recommendations moot and I'm just trying to maintain a ketosis to stabilize my BMI of 16. I attribute it to being unable to metabolize glucose. However, the years of taking high doses of prednisone may have contributed to the insulin resistance. Another side effect to watch for.
    The other option my rheumy suggested was to restart the benlysta. I told him I'd do the self- injecting pens. I've done those before and they work well. Sorry for griping and being the bearer of bad news, but that's the reality of it.

2. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

Sorry to hear about your setback. Hopefully your wife is doing better. Since you have had Benlysta in the past I wonder if it will take as long to kick in this time.

3. keebler

keebler Moderator

Hi Lupusdude,
    I am sorry to read about your set back.
    I tried the self injecting pens.
    Hopefully now your wife is feeling better.
    Take care,
    Lyn

4. sagehen

sagehen Junior Member

Hi Lupusdude,
    I hope you are feeling better again, with the use of your self injecting pens. I hope your wife's back is healing also.
    Better days ahead for you, both.

Best Wishes,