Benlysta | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Benlysta

Discussion in 'Medications' started by Kiewi5, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Kiewi5

Kiewi5 Member

Hi there,
    Has anyone tried Benlysta (belimumab), either self injector or infusions? I would greatly appreciate any information or experience anyone has to share. I’m particularly interested in the self injector for convenience sake but I am open to either one. Thank you!!

2. keebler

keebler Moderator

3. Kiewi5

Kiewi5 Member

Thank you so much!

keebler likes this.
  4. Lupusdude

Lupusdude Registered

Hi Kiewi,
    I was on the Benlysta infusions several years ago and my lab work greatly improved. However, when I stopped the infusions, my labs got worse. Recently I’ve begun the injections as it appears to be a drug that works well for me. I’m doing well, but my doc would like my labs to be better. Yes, the self injection is very convenient although it’s a weekly injection as opposed to the monthly infusion. Ask for the auto-injectors if you go with injections. They’re the easiest way. I don’t get any side effects from the medication, but there is that possibility, so just read the handout that comes with it. Take care and I wish you well.
    Joe

5. Kiewi5

Kiewi5 Member

Thank you so much for the reply; I really appreciated it!

Lupusdude likes this.
  6. Lotus802020

Lotus802020 New Member

Hello! I am new to this site. I was diagnosed with Lupus in 2010 after having my first child. My doctor wants to start me on the Benlysta self inject. I have been on plaquenil and prednisone. Can anyone tell me if there is weight gain associated with the self inject. I struggle already. Thanks for any help!

7. Kiewi5

Kiewi5 Member

Hello! I don’t know if weight gain is associated with Benlysta (I don’t think so), but I have been on Benlysta auto-injector for about four months and I have not experienced any weight gain from it. I have been able to get off prednisone except during flares (which I am hoping will decrease in number once the Benlysta really kicks in more) which is great because I gained a lot of weight from prednisone. I have continued to take the Plaquenil, which has worked really well for me.

8. Lotus802020

Lotus802020 New Member

Thank you so much for the reply!! It makes me feel so much better! I struggle with the prednisone which I want to stop!!! Fingers crossed!!! Right now I am on 200mg twice a day of Plaquenil which my rheumatologist says I need to decrease! Sometimes this all makes my head spin!!!

9. Kiewi5

Kiewi5 Member

Welcome! I was diagnosed in April of last year and this site has been so helpful for me, as I too felt (and feel) like it made my head spin! Wishing you all the best!