CBS News Report on Disability | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

CBS News Report on Disability

Discussion in 'Social Security / Disability Benefits' started by Tom, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Tom

Tom Old Timer

http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_video/main500251.shtml

Click on the Disability Pay Rejections video

Some highlights include:

2 out of 3 claims are rejected

3 year wait in some states for a hearing (Mine is one) :rolleyes:

16,000 people died in the last 2 years (06' & 07') waiting for a decision! :eek:

I'm glad it's finally getting the attention it deserves.

2. acard

acard Registered

Tom,
    I am shocked:eek: It is very wrong. I hope our next Presicident wiill cabge this crap.:mad:

Tom, you are a remarble-Keep you chin up:hehe:

Hugs,
    Bwcca

3. neongirl

neongirl Registered

Good Grief!
    You'd think the way the government hangs onto this money that it was theirs!

4. Jirel

Jirel Registered

Have to admit, nothing I didn't already know. Friend of mine tried to commit suicide twice while waiting. He didn't think he'd get his $300 a month.

5. raggedyann1

raggedyann1 Registered

We need to be carefull not to get into a political discussion here. Part of the extra screening process came as a result of a good amount of fraud from both "patients" and doctors cooperating for a kick-back. There is also a huge growth in disabled people as us baby-boomers age. I am not defending the system just giving some clarity as to how some of it got where it was. I hope the new person in charge is able to swing things back around quickly and get better clarification on Connective tissue diseases vis a vis disability.

Karen

6. dudley

dudley Registered

Tom,

I could not find it. What am I doing wrong?

tk Elaine

7. Tom

Tom Old Timer

I guess they drop off after a certain time period. :(

You can still see this one and 2 others about disability by clicking the "Health" tab in the "Top Videos" box, then scroll down to it.

I hope that makes sense. :scratch:

8. Jen79

Jen79 Guest

I waited 3 years before i got a hearing and I had hired a lawyer my mother find in the phone book and never met her. She dismissed my case and a month later I recieved a letter saying that I had 3 hearings that I missed and I couldn' t apply again until 2010. I was so mad and upset that the lawyer did that to me and I know she dismissed me bc she knew that she had not been working on my case. I still can't believe that I waited 3 yrs for a hearing and had one 3 times and didn't know about it. So I have thrown my hands up and go to work everyday in pain and very exhausted knowing that I don't have a chose. That is very true about people being on their death bed and have gotten turned down for disabilty. I know some people that have gotten it and they are healthly and can function in day to day life and I can't understand how they got it and there are people that are really sick and have either gotten denied or waiting on a response.
    JEN

9. marymackay

marymackay Registered

So Sad

Hi All
    The video was really excellent, but the message was so sad for any one with disabilities - a culture of denial - not just for pensions but from many walks of life.
    Best of luck All

10. mkerpics

mkerpics mmkhuv

Here is an update on Scott Watson, one of the SSD appplicants featured on the CBS News' Invesigative Report on SSD and the "Culture to Deny".

Now is the time to let all of your local legislature know about what's going on. You can find/contact them at http://www.senate.gov/ and https://forms.house.gov/wyr/welcome.shtml

Also contact the media. The more media outlets that broadcast this story, the more likely it is that something will be done to help the disabled get the benefits they are entitled to. You can contact them at http://www.congress.org/congressorg/dbq/media.

11. dudley

dudley Registered

Hi Tom.

Hope your day comes soon when you herethat big YES.
    fFound the site. www,cbsnews.com. I did a search on just disabilities and a lot of artical came up as text and peoples comments to them along with vidios. Unfortunatly I do not have the they software to down load it. The person that set up my computer will do it next weekend....The playoffs lol.

Elaine

12. dudley

dudley Registered

Found out what the problem was on me looking at the video. I have Dail up (Yeah I am cheap). Idid find a few interesting articals on the site.

Elaine