Celiac, UC, and Crohn's | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Celiac, UC, and Crohn's

Discussion in 'Related Conditions' started by Tired, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Tired

Tired Member

Has anyone here with lupus or RA also been diagnosed with Celiac, UC, or Crohn's disease?

I've not been diagnosed with either of these, but I was referred to a GI by my rheumatologist early on. She mentioned the possibility of any of those three, given that I have undifferentiated inflammatory arthritis and some other symptoms. Chronic diarrhea and constipation has been an issue for me for many years. I declined the referral because I had some anxiety and fearfulness about any procedures I might require...however, my GI issues have come back ten fold in the last 3 weeks. I'm considering asking for a referral again so I can finally get some answers.

Lupusdude likes this.
  2. Jessica1

Jessica1 Moderator

Hello Tired,
    I haven't been diagnosed with any of these conditions but thought I would :bump:your thread back up so it's seen again, maybe someone will be along soon to help out. I would agree that it would be a good idea for you to ask for the referral again though and tell the consultant about your anxieties and fears; they can usually prescribe you something to help calm you down if you need a procedure.
    Take care,
    Jess.

Lupusdude likes this.
  3. Lupusdude

Lupusdude Registered

Hi Tired,
    I haven’t had any of those diagnoses, but did get an IBS diagnosis and I currently follow a low fodmap diet which eliminates those symptoms that you mentioned. I don’t know if you have looked into that yet. Good luck and keep us posted.

4. Tired

Tired Member

What is a low fodmap diet? I've never heard of it before.

So when I posted this, I was having issues with intermittent diarrhea...we've now progressed to nothing but loose stools/diarrhea. I lost my appetite about a week and a half ago, and it hasn't come back. I had problems with nausea before, and that's also continued. So I'm definitely going to talk with her. I don't know if it's a result of MTX or something else. But it feels like no matter what I eat, it just goes straight through me.

Lupusdude likes this.
  5. Lupusdude

Lupusdude Registered

I was like that too, but had some pain in the lower left quadrant. My gastro gave me the ibs dx and put me on the diet. Certain foods have carbs that don’t digest so you have to watch those foods. Look up FODMAPs online