Contact Lenses | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Contact Lenses

Discussion in 'Looking Good, Feeling Better' started by BigSis, Aug 18, 2012.

1. BigSis

BigSis Registered

Hi all.
    Haven't been around for a bit but I know where to come for the answer to a lupie question :)

I have my usual eye check next week and would like to try contact lenses. Trouble is Lupus has given me dry eyes.

I am wondering if anyone out there with a similar problem uses contacts, and which type are best for this.

Thanks in advance
    Big Sis

2. ElephantEyes

ElephantEyes Registered

I use daily disposables - they aren't too drying, but I only use them occasionally.

Good luck with them :)

3. Lupo30

Lupo30 Registered

I've been told that there is no way I can have contact lenses due to sjogren's syndrome, which is what causes dry eyes in my case. Mind you, I've developed ulcers due to the dryness at times and I have to put eye drops in every hour, so suppose I have to be realistic. However, I would love them and hope your optician gives you positive news. Good luck, Lupo30

4. debatat

debatat Moderator

I was also told that contact lenses would be a no no for me due to sjorgens causing dry eye.

5. cally

cally Registered

I think I will depend on how severe your dry eyes are.

If like me, it is the kind where you just need OTC eye drops to moisten them maybe once a day then you will most likely get the go ahead. However, if you are using medicated drops or needing them relatively often, or are getting damage to your eye already from the dryness then it will most likely not be possible. Your optician will give you the best answer for your eyes and how dry they are, since we are each affected differently.

Cally x

6. Hi. I use Dailies and fake tears from a leading chemist and have sjorgrens too and dont have a problem

7. denalirat

denalirat rockstar!

i haven't not been dx with sjogren's to my knowledge, my my opthalmologists have said my eyes are extremely dry and that they do not recommend me wearing contact lenses as they deprive the eye of oxygen and i would have serious potential of harming my eyes given what they already struggle with. having said that, i did have ONE ophthalmologist that seemed to not have a problem with contacts if i wanted them, so not everyone fully agrees. :) i have chosen to wear glasses for the time being as contacts are not absolutely necessary for me and i'd rather hang onto the eyes!

kit

8. SueC

SueC Staying Simple

Hi,

I have had contacts before, for aesthetics purposes (I wanted the big eye effect), and it was okay. I wouldn't recommend using them as I also get dry eyes, and to be honest, it wasn't that comfy at the end of the day. Now I only wear glasses. Even normal people have to use eye drops to get the red eye relieved while wearing contacts for the day, and for us, it's just causing unnecessary stress to the eyes if you could wear glasses.
    But then again, girls are girls and we like to look good. So I guess I can understand why you want to try contacts.

Best of luck!

luv,
    Su :)

9. Eileen T

Eileen T Registered

Hi There,

I don't have Sjogrens, but I do suffer from dry eyes (it's more of an age related thing with me) I fancied wearing contact lenses sometimes instead of glasses, but the optician told me that although I could try disposable daily lenses, I should only wear them for the day on 'special occasions'. I decided against it in the end.

Eileen