Coronavirus | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Living with lupus' started by Bulldogmom44, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Bulldogmom44

Bulldogmom44 New Member

I know, if you are like me, just the word scares me. How do you feel about it? Is anyone else scared like me? I am still working a full time job at a private mental health counseling practice. I work for great people and we are trying to keep the office germ free, as they have since I was diagnosed.

Just recently had strep throat that threw me into a flare up. Which I guess has me on heighten alert. The Coronavirus has me scared. Thanks Everyone.

2. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

The virus does have me on edge but other than taking some precautions there is not much else I can do. I am treating it like the normal flu season but this has an added component of areas possibly being quarantined. Instead of a 4 to 7 days of supplies we have increased our disaster preparedness kit to a 2 week supply. It looks like our cruise in June isn't wise so maybe some home projects that have been on the back burner will get done instead. Like with Lupus I am taking it one day at a time.

Take care,
    Lazylegs

wolf1 likes this.
  3. Bulldogmom44

Bulldogmom44 New Member

Thanks Lazylegs
    One day at a time is all we can do. Good idea on 2 weeks supply. Will be going to bulk up my supplies and food. Most of what the government recommends are procedures my household is already doing. Today at work I was quarantined to my office. No one in or out, also wearing a mask to keep myself from touching my face. It's going to be a long month I am sure.

4. x_claire_x

x_claire_x Moderator

The interesting thing is that Chloroquine has been found to help block these types of viruses...very successfully with SARS... and they are testing it with Coronavirus.....so perversely we may be safer taking plaquinel...or some such compound with Chloroquine in it......also colloidal silver is a very good alternative to gallons of hand gel etc, I use it all the time around my grandchildren who are little germ monsters.....as long as I remember to spray myself liberally... it works very well :0) Just a few thoughts.............Claire

wolf1 likes this.
  5. GinaS

GinaS New Member

I am an ICU nurse and (most likely) will be spending 12 hour days in a confined space with patients who are requiring ventilator support due to coronavirus ....I am concerned that I will catch it and die. At this point I am definitely questioning my career choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Smile Of Life

Smile Of Life Duncan

I'm along the same lines as Lazylegs. It's just flu that kills a few more in my mind. I expect to get it and so what? But then I'm 50 and not 80, so I have a 1.3% chance of death if I catch it. I reckon I have more chance of a car crash! I'm not stockpiling to be selfish. I am being far more hygienic. I'm laughing at people who've bought so many toilet rolls that they will be stuck with them for the next 10 years!! I'm just going to roll with it. No point in worrying as that depletes your immune system.

wolf1 likes this.
  7. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

Last night all seniors and people at high risk were told to self isolate at home. Since I am taking Biologics I plan to adhere to the order. Doing taxes is our first project to get done.

Smile Of Life likes this.
  8. wolf1

wolf1 Registered

Hi
    From today I have started to stay in just incase I catch it I’m not on any meds because I can’t take any of them I’m allergic to everything. I’m having steroid injections coz I can’t take anything else and steroids make me ill too but have to have something to help me.
    Hope everyone keeps safe
    Take care
    Wolf1

9. Surferboy

Surferboy Registered

Good morning All,

Hope you all are keeping well and out of mischief ;)

Great to read that so far we've remained positive and managed to steer clear of the dreaded thing. I worry though that we haven't seen posts from a few other regulars. But I'm sure they're too busy watching back to back films and boxsets and dancing along to their favourite tunes in the living room :D

I say make this horrible thing a positive, and make the most of your isolation time :thumbsup:

lazylegs and Smile Of Life like this.
  10. Surferboy

Surferboy Registered

GinaS, I very very very rarely use the H word, but you are an absolute hero. I genuinely mean this. Not just for what you do, but for what you do with the condition you have. I recently looked at a job in a hospital (nothing medical, just boring project managing) and like an absolute wimp thought if this would be a good idea considering the disease I have.

I absolutely admire you for your dedication and the great work you and your fellow colleagues do.

Smile Of Life likes this.
  11. GinaS

GinaS New Member

@Surferboy thank you for your kind words. They brought a smile to my face. I am hoping and praying that we all make it through this! Stay safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surferboy likes this.
  12. Laranne

Laranne New Member

The virus doesn't have me anxious but the stress of media, having to get my kid from college and planning for that all of a sudden may be starting a flare. My hands and hips get sore and stuff at night and I have on of those dry sore throats that I used to get when I was not well controlled. Can we get the media to stop flooding us or do I have to unplug from the internet too.

Surferboy and x_claire_x like this.
  13. x_claire_x

x_claire_x Moderator

Agreed...the media need to be controlled as they are spreading misinformation and panic like a wildfire !! Makes me so angry, it just instills fear and panic. I must admit to just searcing out the more scientific data rather than the dramatic headlines etc..... we have to look after our mental health as the last thing we all need is more Lupus symptoms/flare...yes unplug for a few days if you need to...it is going to be a bit of a long slog I think xx

Surferboy likes this.
  14. Surferboy

Surferboy Registered

Yup. Alas, the media will always be the media. And it's become a lot worse since it (especially Sky) has adopted the US style of sensationalising everything!

My entire family is fed up of everything on terrestrial TV being based in and around CV. Surely there must be other things happening such as cats up trees or little Jonathan in Hastings getting a paper cut!

15. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

The sports time slots here are being used for "Look at this" items. It is entertaining so you end the local news with a smile.