Costochondritis? | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Costochondritis?

Discussion in 'Symptoms' started by kate.smith, Dec 21, 2015.

1. kate.smith

kate.smith New Member

Hi everyone,

I have been having chest pains for 2 months now. I have had a CAT scan and an EKG, both came back normal. I just recently had a heart monitoring test as well. No one can tell me what this pain is caused by and it is getting very frustrating. I recently just found costochondritis online. I think this may be the answer to my "mysterious" chest pains. I have random chest pressures in the upper middle, left, and right rib cage. I have sharp pains sometimes in the left side of chest and pressure throughout my entire chest. When you push on my chest/upper rib cage it hurts badly!!! It also gets worse sometimes when I yawn or inhale deeply. I have been having a low grade fever for a while now and fast heart rate but I don't know if that is from lupus or if it can be from costochondritis. Has anyone been diagnosed with this and if so, how did you get diagnosed, what are your treatments, and how long does costochondritis last?

Any comments/feedback is appreciated!

Kate :)

2. mark176

mark176 Active Member

Hi

My rheumy said i had this when i told him it hurts when i breathe in. I also get chest pains. Still waiting for meds to kick in though.
    I dont get the fast heart rate though.

3. Jessica1

Jessica1 Moderator

Hi Kate,

I haven't had this but have found this information that might help http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/costochondritis/basics/definition/con-20024454 It says it can take a number of weeks to improve...I'm sure that's not what you wanted to hear. If you're still having pains and your tests were clear, I'd recommend you go back to your Rheumy / GP and tell them so that they can have a rethink and see if they have more answers.
    Hope you feel better soon.

4. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

Hi Kate,

I've had it a few times. The first time I did have a racing heart but the ER doctor felt it was due to nervousness about the pain. It didn't make sense to me as I woke up from a sound sleep with it. Either way he claimed the inflammation was near the heart so a racing heart was making the area more tender.

The other times I did not have a racing heart. One time it was due to a rib injury. The other times who knows. Each time the doctors ruled out all other possibilities first. Their main key was my response to them applying quick hard pressure to the base of the sternum.

The time with the rib injury I was given Prednisone. The other times I wasn't given anything. I did find it helped to wear a back brace just to remind myself not to bend. Alternating heat and ice in the area seemed to help also.

Take care,
    Lazylegs

5. brenlee

brenlee Registered

I have had this ,I had many test all normal apart from a very fast heart beat happens few times in a year

6. Marty H

Marty H New Member

I have had this too! The first two times it happened, was in the morning. I woke up to use the restroom. I was feeling funny. When I went back to lie down, I was looking around to see where a thumping sound was coming from. I realized it was my own heart beat, and it was galloping!
    I called my husband to please come home, he was not able to leave work.
    It last almost three hours! Once my heart beat quelled a bit, I was absolutely exhausted.
    They next morning, I had no rapid heart beat, but serious pain in my sternum area, and my rib cage on the front, and a bit on the back. Breathing hurt so much!
    I found out it was costchondritis. Everything was normal. The ER doctor without even warning me pressed on my sternum. Man it hurt! He then told me what it was. I was like why didnt you just do that in the first place?
    Anyway, at least now I know what it is.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020