Criteria for middle rate care DLA | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Criteria for middle rate care DLA

Discussion in 'Social Security / Disability Benefits' started by TracyJN, Mar 30, 2011.

1. TracyJN

TracyJN Registered

Hi,

Is anyone out there receiving middle rate care of DLA? I currently receive the lowest rate of care and the high rate of mobility and was wondering what criteria was necessary to be able to get middle rate care.

It may be that I am not entitled to it and I don't want to rock the boat, so to speak, by trying to claim it without being entitled to and cause any problems with what I already receive.

Also, can anyone explain or recommend a website that explains ESA to me as I have been trying to gather info on it (I am being made redundant) and everything I read totally confuses me!

Thanks. :)

2. cally

cally Registered

Hi Tracy,

Just a really quick one, but the middle rate (i have been told from an 'inside source') is for if you need help during the night. eg, do you need help to get to the bathroom overnight? The point is not whether you are getting help...but would it be easier if you had help?

I'll be back later and can try to help out more.

Cally x

3. Em1

Em1 Registered

Hi
    Using the current criteria, I think you need over 20 minutes care during the night. Care just before you go to bed, or just when you get up in the morning are not included as 'night'. Care could be considered help getting to the wc, turning over in bed etc
    Hope this helps, PM if needed
    x

4. TracyJN

TracyJN Registered

Thanks ladies, I will need to mull it over a bit - I do need help during the night, there is rarely a night when I don't have to get back up for at least an hour due to pain and not being able to get comfy and more often than not Craig gets up with me and makes me a drink, gets me painkillers etc.

The ESA is the other thing I need to understand and it looks to be the most complicated benefit ever!

xx

5. cally

cally Registered

Sorry I can't help much more, I found the form horrific and took me ages to try and fill it out. But that is what I have been told. Also, you are to fill it out as if it were your worst day....so worse kind of scenario sort of thing. I have no clue about ESA, how did your meeting go? Was it today?

Cally x

6. TracyJN

TracyJN Registered

Yes it was. It went okay, I am going to accept the redundancy but the rep is going to put my views and feelings on it all into a letter. I think financially it's the best option for me at this time. I may still be able to get my pension early - from the age of 50.

Sorry, I should have replied to your post about your appointment but my head is all over the place with all this stuff, plus I feel pretty lousy - was up half the night.

Thanks for the info. I already get DLA but at the lowest rate of care so I've filled in the awful forms before and thankfully I don't have to reapply as I have been granted it indefinitely.

Glad you didn't get admitted, hope the injection kicks in quickly. Think mine has worn off already. :(

x

7. cally

cally Registered

Don't worry about not replying. I have only been granted mine for 2 years so have to go through the whole thing again. I'm sorry you are feeling so horrible. I think you have made the right decision, for what it is worth. You need as much time as you can to get back on track, and get your health under control.

Get an early night and I hope you have a good sleep tonight.

Cally x

8. Fiona30ni

Fiona30ni Registered

Hi Tracey

ESA is a total nightmare. I have been on it from July 2010 but had to fight for it. There are two types National Insurance Related or Income related and with you working I am assuming you would be put into the National Insurance Band.

I got a lot of information from this site www.benefitsandwork.co.uk

If you also logg onto your local social security agency it should give you information too.

You can claim the benefit after SSP ends or you cannot get SSP. They put you on an emergency rate for 13 weeks to assess your claim. They then depending on your illness put you into a band of either the Support Group, the Work related group or disallow you and send you for job seekers. Before they decide you have to go through a Medical.

Hope this gives you some idea and any other questions PM me

Fiona

9. TracyJN

TracyJN Registered

Thanks Fiona, I really don't know why they have to make life even more stressful and complicated for us, it seems so unfair. My SSP will end some time in the next couple of months - I am not sure whether they count it from when this sick leave started or take into account all the sick leave I've had in the last year.

I am being made redundant on 31st August. :( I am not sure whether I will get to return to work before then because a) I'm quite poorly at the moment and b) I will be going into hospital for an op some time after 11th April which has a 6 week recovery period after and term ends the twenty something of July.

You may regret the offer of PM-ing you....I may have to pick your brains at a later date.

Thanks very much for the link. x

10. Monica3

Monica3 Registered

Dear Tracy,

I know almost nothing about this issue, but I do want to say that I think you are doing the right thing by pursuing all these options as you are so ill right now. Don't hesitate to check out everything. It sounds like other members have some useful info to share about this. Use it!

Hugs to you. Hang in there.

Monica

11. TracyJN

TracyJN Registered

Thanks Monica. I really wish I was able to go back to working full time and support myself but this is no longer an option for me. If I am ever able to get a job again in the future I am pretty sure it will be on a very part time basis. I just hate the stigma that is attached to claiming benefits in this country right now, I feel guilty for enquiring and trying to claim things. :(

12. cally

cally Registered

Tracy, stop right there!!! (in a nice way!)

You are claiming in benefits which you are very much entitled to and you need them to feed, dress and shelter you and Craig. No one else needs to know and shouldn't be asking you. If anyone thinks remotely badly of you then I don't think they are the sort of people you would want to be around. Try to stay away from certain tabloids, they made me feel like a benefit cheat as well. Don't think like that though, they were designed for people like us, who really need them and can not work or can only work a little so that we can afford to live! And obviously being made redundant while a good thing in the long run, wasn't your choice.

Chin up, stand tall....you are not scrounging off of anyone.

Cally x p.s I have now stepped off of my soap box.

13. TracyJN

TracyJN Registered

Aww thanks Cally, it's so horrible the way we are made to feel though. I see things on the news sometimes about people who have claimed DLA when they aren't entitled and they've gone to prison. They've been followed and filmed...the idea of being spied on like that is horrible. My friends tell me not to worry but what if someone films me on a "good day" - not that there are many of them at the moment! I think it just adds to the stress of all this. And they make it so difficult to claim too - I know that is probably to be sure we really are properly sick but the last thing we need is someone making life more difficult.

Sorry, I'm on my soap box now!! - I was a Post Office manager for 16 years so I have seen a lot of "scroungers" in my time....just don't want to be tarred with the same brush. xx

14. cally

cally Registered

Oh a post office manager! That must have educated you in the very 'diverse' population! You'll have seen them all! I get scared of that too, actually I had a nightmare about it last night, I've fallen out with my aunt and had a dream she told the government and I was followed on a good day and sent to jail! It is like my worst nightmare, I would never be filmed on a bad day because I would be in bed! But other days I can get to work.....

I hate lupus.

Have a hug xx

15. TracyJN

TracyJN Registered

Haha Cally, it certainly did!

Well I rang the helpline this morning and I can't just give them extra info I have to go through the whole rigmarole of reapplying, unfortunately I just don't feel well enough to do that at the moment, I have always found it to be a very stressful process and I will already have the stress of applying for ESA in the near future!

I may reconsider this in time but for now I think I will leave things as they are.

Thanks for all your advice. xx

16. countrylass

countrylass Registered

Hi just seen thread.by what you desribed needing and getting care in night............you more than entitled to middle rate care.......
    id go for it now the dla bit...takes about month re assess a claim did mine.

my partner got middle rate and high mobilty doesnt now though..........good luck whatever you decide
    and in no way are you scrounging................

theres alot like yourself enitled and not claiming............then theres those who dont need but get.................

countrylass

17. TracyJN

TracyJN Registered

In a moment of bravery or madness I changed my mind and asked them for a new claim form!!

18. countrylass

countrylass Registered

Good go for it.and get help filling it in.......if you upto that.
    good luck
    countrylass

19. cally

cally Registered

Good move. If you can manage it, get to your local disability office or charity and get help to fill it in.

Cally x

20. **Phoenix**

**Phoenix** Registered

Ah so glad to read you've sent for the form! Was just about to say get the form asap even if you don't feel up to filling it in right now as they back date payments from when you ring up to get the form!

Good luck xxx