Curious question.....? : ) | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Curious question.....? : )

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by verythankful, May 2, 2010.

1. verythankful

verythankful Registered

I see a lot of vegetarian recipe requests (does vegetarianism help with Lupus? Oh, I hope so! About 28 years of (eek!) soon to be 37 years I've been a strict vegetarian--neither easy for me or my family, lol!)--and recipe requests here in general. Most of the recipes I've cleaved to over the years have been adapted home recipes, cookbook recipes, adaptations and sometimes outright just plain good recipes from online or cookbooks.

If there's an interest (esp. if eating veg is helpful,) do you think anyone would be interested gathering all our recipes together and somehow doing a "Favorites" cookbook as some sort of fundraiser/awareness thingie for Lupus as an extension of the good work here at the Lupus site? (Or has it been done before?)

(A few weeks ago I was still somewhat flummoxed over why awareness is so important (I thought, if someone sees my red cheeks or red hands, I could just say "Lupus" or "RA," I didn't think I needed a shirt of anything to proclaim it, or advertise it or make these things my identity. But I've been looking about and it's bizarre, all the commercials/benefits/awareness items seem to focus on one or two conditions exclusively...and Lupus (or any *other* autoimmune disease) is *no where* to be seen. It's like they don't exist. And if they aren't on the public consciousness' radar, what's there to motivate anyone to finding solutions and cures?) Some of the conditions that *are* on the commercials, etc. actually *do* have cures or at least treatments, too, unlike something as mysterious, difficult and miserable as Lupus. ...then again, I may be totally off my beam, lol! I'm hoping, too, that success here in the UK group might be able to nudge the US groups, or at least the AZ group, toward similar success, too : ) But, that's ancillary...)

Thanks again,
    verythankful

2. Pink Pearl

Pink Pearl Registered

To answer one question, actually, there have been a lot of PSA's which recommend that people with lupus type symptoms, be tested for lupus. [psa=public service announcement on tv] I don't have any excuse for AZ lupus chapter for their lack of ??? The LFA national convention was held in Phoenix in 1997. so there is no excuse for their lack of involvement.

About vegetarian diet vs lupus health? The only dietary connection I've heard of is gluten intolerance. As celiac disease is considered another autoimmune disease, there is a connection as many autoimmune diseases run in multiples. I do know that I feel better in summer when I am eating fresh from my garden. As for doing a cookbook of our favorites, I think it might be more of a challenge for those of us who do not have a DSL internet connection. I just can't justify a second line on my disability income. As a result, it takes a long time to download large files. I am only one person tho, and the minority of those who do have dsl capability.
    Sally

3. Katharine

Katharine Registered

Hello there,

There is no scientific evidence to support that a vegetarian diet helps in any particular way. Some people may choose to eat a vegetarian diet but, as with any diet, what is important is to make sure that the diet is well balanced and the body is getting all the nutrients it needs.

I think the reason why there are so many vegetarian recipes listed here is that people are looking for alternatives to the way they may have traditionally eaten before and bringing more veg into diets is usually a good thing. It is also a less known area of cooking so people are often happy to share new ideas.

Sally :) I have never seen an announcement of ANY sort on TV or elsewhere concerning lupus here in Belgium (nor in Ireland for that matter) and people really haven't a clue what it is.

Katharine

4. Pink Pearl

Pink Pearl Registered

Katharine, I can't answer for Belgium or Ireland, but here, greater Seattle area, they run several times in a week both on tv and radio. I don't know why it isn't promoted to be investigated there. I don't have an answer.

Is the Lupus Foundation active in your area? If not, that might by why you don't get the PSA's. Could also be the difference in the two nations.
    Sally

5. Lily

Lily Registered

Here if you want to put anything on TV or Radio you pay a lot of money. The stations don't do 'favours' they survive by the revenue they get from advertising. I am guessing that most Lupus Associations don't have that much spare money they can advertise with.

love
    Lily

6. Pink Pearl

Pink Pearl Registered

In the US the non-profit groups can get the stations to allow them doing the PSA as they can get credit on their taxes for donating so much advertising time. The non-profit groups are designated by the IRS code of 501(C)(3). Perhaps this is why we get so much advertising donated to the LFA chapters. I guess we are just lucky here.
    Sally

7. denalirat

denalirat rockstar!

Sally --

I'm in Seattle and I've never heard or seen these PSAs! Crazy!

As for veggie diets, I think Katharine hit it on the head -- the most important thing is having a well-balanced diet. My rheumy has advised against some meats (red meat, pork, chicken) because they can promote inflammation in some people, but he also doesn't say "YOU CAN'T EAT THIS!" He just suggests that fish or seafood is sometimes a healthier alternative when you're already prone to inflammation and only you can really know how these things affect your body. He suggests paying attention to whether certain foods seem to contribute to symptoms and to follow what seems to be best for your body.

I tend to eat a lot of vegetables simply because I feel better when I'm eating a LOT of fresh foods. I don't notice that any foods make me feel awful, but I do notice that I feel better when I'm not eating junk. :)

8. Pink Pearl

Pink Pearl Registered

Denali,
    The majority of the tv ads I see are on Kiro TV, ch 7, as Steve Raible's wife, Sharon, has lupus and they do a lot of announcements and such for the PNW LFA chapter. [Steve is a news anchor for Ch 7]
    I hear the radio ads on Komo AM and on Kiro FM radio channels. Perhaps I have them on more than do you? Don't know, but I am aware that they are on both medias. Maybe I am just more aware to "tune in" on these ads.?????
    Sally