Curry! | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Curry!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by julsie, Apr 5, 2008.

1. julsie

julsie Registered

Ok,I'm not sure if this should be in the recipe bit but anyway...I'd love to be able to make a decent curry but can't!If there are any good cooks out there ,can you give me some tips?apart from getting a takeaway,of course:)
    So the other night I attempted to make a lamb curry.My friend made it the week before and it was lovely.However,after many hours of grinding spices,mixing ,tasting etc,I ended up with something that looked like orange sick:sad: have to say,it didn't taste too good either!so I was attempting this with my son(thought we could learn to cook together)and now he doesn't want to cook again:hehe: maybe it was the soured cream?my friend hadn't got any and used yoghurt instead.Sorry,completely pointless pondering and much more interesting stuff to discuss,but curry is important you know!;)
    Julsie

2. Christine UK

Christine UK Registered

hey i love a good curry to and i know just the recipe...will just ask hubby for it !!!!:rotfl:

3. goats

goats Registered

I am not a master at curry , there a couple of recipes I use, very basic
    there are all the same ,just changing the meat or beans actually

I use ready made curry that comes in a bag from the grocer

I fry onions, and curry in light oil ,then add can of tomatoes . depending on how hot you want it. 1 to 3 tsps, then I add the meat ,when it is all covered in the spice I add the meat and let it boil on meduim for about on hour.

when doing it with beans I use kidney beans , drain and rinse then strain them, and mash with a potatoe masher. also adding all kinds of veggies. egg plant, etc. letting it cook for around the same time

I cook the chicken wings in the oven then when almost done I toss them in a bowl with curry powder and finish on broil

not all orginal but it works for me. my daughter makes things with curry and yogurt. but she also uses a cook book :lol:

4. LoopyLoo

LoopyLoo Registered

This is my curry recipe - it's a Butter Chicken Makhani and pretty easy to make. I'm not great at following things exactly every time and tend to add as the cooking goes on but here goes.

4 chicken breasts
    8oz (225g) butter
    1 tblspn of extra virgin oil
    1 tblspn cinnamon
    6 Cardamom pods
    2 teaspns garlic paste or cloves
    1 tblspn of ginger
    1 tblspn ground coriander
    1 tblspn ground cumin
    1 tblspn of garam masala
    1 tblspn of tomato puree
    2 tins of tomatoes
    Green chillies - I use 2 but it's up to you
    1 onion
    1 green pepper
    2- 3 tblspns creme fraiche - I use this as it's healthier than cream and can calm the curry down if you've overspiced.
    2 tblspns fresh coriander leaves

Heat a large pan with the oil and butter together. Add the cardamon pods - either split open the top of each slightly or completely remove the outer shell, it's personal preference. Add the rest of the spices and stir till they combine with the oil and butter to make a paste. Add the onions and gently fry until soft. Slice or cube the chicken and add. Fry until lightly brown. Add the tinned tomatoes, raise the heat until it's bubbling, lower and cover. To avoid sticking to the pan I add a little lemon juice. I will simmer gently for around an hour then chop and add the green pepper and creme fraiche. After another half hour I chop and add the fresh coriander before serving with rice or toasted pitta bread. If the curry doesn't have the desired thickness turn up the heat and stir for 10 minutes or until you're happy with it.

Hope that doesn't sound too complicated, now that I make it all the time it seems quite simple.

Hugz,

Pam xxx

5. ALWIN

ALWIN Guest

Have saved that there recipe!

Pam - do you have a recipe and instructions for light and crispy onion 'bargies'?

Last time I tried (even bought the gram flour) mine ended up like fried splodge. With oily runny bits.

Julsie - I too make a great range in different coloured vomits. At least we try.

6. LoopyLoo

LoopyLoo Registered

Afraid I don't Alwin, I'm like you and not good with that kind of thing.

Would love to try a different curry recipe though as that's the only one I can make :hehe:

7. julsie

julsie Registered

Thank you,I will try these recipes.
    I had an ex boyfriend who made a fantastic rogan josh with cottage cheese.what do I get when i try it?yes! more vomit looking curry! maybe you have to be born with a curry making gift?I bought a book about curry making but it was far too complicated for my little brain,nevermind,
    Julsie

8. ALWIN

ALWIN Guest

Hmmm ...

My 15 year old daughter just looked over my shoulder and said 'Mary Curry - how d'ya make that then?'

She had read the last 2 words of pam's post ..... Stupid girl!

My best curry?

Fry onions.
    Add all left overs cos you forgot to go shopping and everybody's clutching their cutlery looking expectant.
    Add jar of favourite curry.
    Heat rapid like whilst vaguely hoping rice'll cook proper for a change.
    Bang on plates.
    Glare a warning gurn across the table.

Say 'enjoy!'. Leave room munching on jam butty.

Nobody has ever complained in my house. :wink:

9. LoopyLoo

LoopyLoo Registered

That is hysterical! :rotfl:

I had to go back to my post and then I got it - Marie Curie - Mary Curry. :joke:

I don't know what you look like Alwin but I have this image in my head of a crazy woman cooking dinner and serving it to a terrified family LOL! :lol:

10. julsie

julsie Registered

That'll teach her for being so nosy!
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like her own cooking!husband thinks I eat salad because I'm on a diet:rotfl:
    julsie