Cytoxan | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Cytoxan

Discussion in 'Medications' started by GoldFlex, Jun 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. GoldFlex

GoldFlex New Member

Hello All, I was wondering what other's experience are with Cytoxan. I am going to have to do it for 6 months (1 time a month IV). I hear I will lose my hair -which sucks. Of all things, I am upset about that. I've had a craniotomy and had half of my head shaved; cancer for which I didn't have to have chemo and kept my hair -now this. My hair is full and all of the way down my back. It's what I use to hide from the world and bloated moon face I have all of the time for being on 60mg pred (now -it ranges between 40-60). Also, I am 117 lbs now at 5'5" with hyperthyroid evolving. I do have concerns about the stomach upset and vomiting. Of course, infections that can kill you cross my mind. I've already been on 7 antibiotics since April. Jesus Almighty, I just want to be healthy as do all of you. If you have had Cytoxan, can you please share your experiences. Information on infections and any prophylaxis for that would be helpful. I have allergies and liver disease, which has made finding drugs that work for infections complicated. Thanks.

2. GoldFlex

GoldFlex New Member

I guess not many get this. Thanks anyway.

3. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

A few members have tried it but they may not be active now. How are you doing on it?

4. GoldFlex

GoldFlex New Member

Hi Lazylegs, It was postponed until this next week due to an infection. I had a full relapse with the neurovasculitis and collapsed this past week. Once the Cytoxan gets going, I'll try to come on here and post updates. I was hopeful the Rituxan would work, but after 3 rounds, it ended up washing out and had no effect. I was told that people can develop antibodies against it because it is made from mice and the sister drug, which is made from human cells is only approved for MS. People don't apparently burn out on that one. Anyway, Cytoxan is not 100%, but it is the first-line therapy for what I have.

5. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

Sorry to hear about your relapse. Hopefully the Cytoxan will help and you don't have too many side effects. Have you looked into getting a wig. In the US the Cancer Society has some good sources for nice wigs at a decent price.

6. GoldFlex

GoldFlex New Member

Update on the Cytoxan. Unfortunately I can't tell if it's done anything. I have my 3rd infusion this coming Friday. I have had an invasive fungal infection, which as long as I am being treated for, they continue to do the cytoxam. The drug I am on for it, Voriconazole, interacts with the prednisone (I'm at 52.5mg) to the effect of increasing the serum level of prednisone and diminishing the effect of the antifungal. It's been like a nightmare of side-effects -more than I think I can bare many days -but God willing. I so wish I could say something different and wish I were in a place to say that miracles have happened. They may have -but I can't feel them.

7. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

Come Friday you will be half way there. :fingers: you begin to see some improvement.

Take care,
    Lazylegs