Dental care costs | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Dental care costs

Discussion in 'Social Security / Disability Benefits' started by Ooohmekneeshurt, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Ooohmekneeshurt

Ooohmekneeshurt Registered

Has anyone any success in trying to claim 'additional' dental care costs?

I have a medical exemption certificate; but whereas this would offer me vouchers towards eye and dental charges, they will not pay for the treatment I need.

I have had substantial dental issues; I have already lost most of my upper teeth; and presently have 5 crowns which are now continually dropping out. My diet is now restricted (not that I want it to be) and I cannot have a false plate because my gums would become inflamed. I've also had high calcium levels for over 14 months; I dont know if that is connected, but I know my AI issues have effected my dental health.

I fear that I will be reduced to only having two upper teeth. Currently one cannot get implants on the NHS-- but has anyone had any success in pushing their dentist / local NHS Trust to see if because of AI issues one can get extended assistance with dental costs because of illness?:sad:

2. Lupo30

Lupo30 Registered

I assume you have to fill in a form detailing your financial situation i.e. savings, etc and then they will let you know. My dentist gave me one to fill in but I didn't bother. I too spend my life at the dentist, Sjogren's is deciding to attack my mouth big time at the moment. Best of luck and let us all know how you get on.

Lupo30

3. Marshmellow

Marshmellow Registered

I don't now the answer here but am really interested in hearing from others as I too have dental issues related to my AI issues and have also just discovered implants aren't available on the NHS (there's no way I could pay for them privately)
    Good luck and thanks for starting this thread
    Rach x

4. cally

cally Registered

Hi,

I was recently speaking to a friend who is pretty high up (albeit in Scotland) in the NHS connected with dentistry. I told her of the problems I had been having with getting my dentistry funded and she was appalled. She said there is an appeals process (I haven't had to use it yet, so can't give you details!). Apparently if AI is causing you to lose teeth or have problems then you should be having the care of them completely funded.

I wish I could be of more help to you. Sorry x

5. countrylass

countrylass Registered

Hi i applied filled in form they re asses 12 monthly this year due to partner wage increase they giving us much less,for me its ok as auto immune hasnt affected teeth to much but my partner with auto immune issues its affected his really bad hes losing enamel loads root canals,teeth removed.
    we are about send off info to ask be re assesed due rent increase council tax increase.and praying they change it as we both need new glasses Aswell.
    last year we had alot help they give for glasses eye test,dental,wigs, hospital travel fees,and then we do pre pay monthly direct debit for nhs prescription so only pay £10.40 a month when getting medication often over £60 for me and £30 for hubby.

so thats saved us alot soon as knew he needed lot medication lot changes i applied online for him...
    any complex dental needs my dentist will refer me to dental hospital down road..and that be free for me

take care
    countrylass

6. anjalisingh

anjalisingh Registered

Dental care is applicable for those persons which can be suffering from mouth pain due to teeth.so those person applicable to consult dentist.