Describing pain to people. | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Describing pain to people.

Discussion in 'Living with lupus' started by mishmash, Jun 14, 2016.

1. mishmash

mishmash Registered

Hi all.

Lately I've been feeling in quite a lot of pain in my hands/arms/legs/feet and chest.
    One off work colleagues asked what it felt like.. I really struggled to explain it.

I know we are all different but the only thing I could say was it felt like I needed to break my bones or put myself through a mangle to relieve the pain. It's such an odd feeling, almost like my bones are being twisted or are burning on the inside.
    Sometimes I have said feels like something is chewing at my bones.

Does this make sense to anyone? Or is it just me?

How else does everyone else explain their pain.

I don't know how to make people understand.

Thanks all

Michelle xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. keebler

keebler Moderator

Hi Michelle,
    I give examples like my wrists are hurting and it feels like someone has a hold on them squeezing them hard.
    I have found they can relate better to examples like that.
    It makes sense to me what you said.
    If you can give them an example they can relate to goes good.
    Feel better,
    Lyn

3. christianirc

christianirc Brenda

A lot of my pain feels like someone has put that part, say thumb for instance, in a vice grip and turned it as tight as you can stand it, and then turned it once more.

4. kaypasa

kaypasa Registered

I always say it feels as though my bones are on fire.

5. Jackie Jubilee

Jackie Jubilee New Member

I always just say I feel like Im bruised down to the bone. I really have no idea how to describe what I feel either =/ Its unfortunate there is no real relief.
    All they do is give you a pill thats gonna knock you out........ are we supposed to spend our lives sleeping???

6. Crazylegs

Crazylegs New Member

Sometimes I don't think it's possible.... It's like a summer's day that is so hot that you can never imagine being cold again... When people are well they can't imagine our pain... Makes life very difficult especially when need understanding and compassion. Hug to u x