Diet and main sources of flares... | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Diet and main sources of flares...

Discussion in 'Living with lupus' started by kissiah, Oct 3, 2018.

1. kissiah

kissiah New Member

Still trying to figure out what is causing my flares. its been almost four months since Ive been able to full bend and straighten my knee. Since being Positive ANA and I know I haven't been fully diagnosed yet I had to do something that I could control instead of just sitting in pain. I researched what not to eat (the general foods) and I have cut out gluten, fake sugars, red meat, fast food and diary so far. I will slowly incorporate small things in my diet as I journal weekly and see what causes my symptoms, but so far my knee is feeling better not 100% but getting there :)

hoping to hear from everyone what causes your symptoms, how you found out the triggers, and what you have replaced your foods with???

2. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

My main trigger is overdoing. I don't always heed my bodies advice to rest and I pay for it. Heat would be the second. Heat zaps all the energy from my body.

Up to this point I have not changed my diet. I continue to eat as healthy and well balanced diet as I can.

kissiah likes this.
  3. sagehen

sagehen Junior Member

My main triggers are the sun, overdoing, stress, wheat products, sugar, not getting enough sleep.

4. Jessica1

Jessica1 Moderator

Mine are similar but artificial lighting is my biggest enemy. I haven't found any food that seems to the a flare. It's good that you're working it out to try to avoid triggers.
    Take care,
    Jess.

5. paulam

paulam New Member

I am not sure what causes my flares. But I think it stress. I was fine 6 months then in may it started flaring. Every morning I feel yucky. Once I go out I feel ok. Now the weather changing. I dont feel myself. I do some housework. I dont over due it. Like today it is raining. I can feel it in my bones
    Paulam

6. Em19

Em19 New Member

Stress is a huge factor in causing my flares I have found, and also not getting enough sleep. I've found diet wise what helps me is a drink I drink every morning. It is filtered water, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, turmeric, and honey. If I'm being honest, it doesn't taste very good, but it's worth it because of how much it helps my joint pain, inflammation, energy levels, and stomach problems. I make it once a week in a big patch and it lasts about 6 days. It's 1 liter of water, 4 tbsp apple cider vinegar, 1/4 cup of pure lemon juice, 1/2 tsp of turmeric, and 1/2 tbsp of honey. I hope this helps you all as much as it has helped me.

7. Lupusdude

Lupusdude Registered

Great drink Em19!
    I've had a great deal of success with all those ingredients. I don't use a specific recipe like you do, but I do incorporate all except the acv in my diet each day. Very beneficial and great for inflammation as you well noted. Peace

8. Em19

Em19 New Member

That's great to hear! Would love to hear some ways you incorporate ACV in your diet. I'm always looking for new ways to incorporate it. :)

9. Ann2

Ann2 Registered

I try to avoid excessive tiredness and stress too. Your drink sounds interesting Em 19, I have read about turmerics good properties and love honey and lemon juice.

10. sagehen

sagehen Junior Member

I often forget that store lights trigger a flare for me. I was in Was-Mart shopping this last week. I didn't have sunscreen on, I flared for the rest of the week, and terribly. So store lights are a very big factor in my flaring.

11. Michael Garhart

Michael Garhart New Member

I'm beginning to think fructose is a problem source. Fatigues me and causes other issues, I think. Corn, chicken, and eggs seem to make me feel like I'm radiating heat. Not only through my backside, but also on my forehead. Like a dry heat.

12. Lupusdude

Lupusdude Registered

I did say all EXCEPT the acv. Sorry! Anyway, there are lots of recipes out there that use it. You could try a google search and find something. The reason I avoid it is that it's a high FODMAP food. So it is an irritant for people with IBS. I've been using rice vinegar on some of my food for a substitute. Which also helps to keep your blood sugar in balance. Hope that helps