Disability - Good News! | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Disability - Good News!

Discussion in 'Social Security / Disability Benefits' started by Jenkay, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Jenkay

Jenkay Jen

Just want to share that I received my Social Security Disability approval letter last night. :thumbs:

I went for a hearing a couple of weeks ago and at it appeared that things went well during the hearing as the judge stopped things about 1/2 way through. It was nice to get the actual letter though.

I guess it will be reviewed again in 2 years, I was hoping for a longer period of time before the first review but oh well.

Thanks for everyone's support, it was a long process and I'm glad to move on from it for a bit. My private disability is currently under review so hopefully that will go well too.

Have a great day.

2. Katharine

Katharine Registered

That's great news Jen :woohoo: I bet you're relieved that that's behind you for a while.

Katharine

3. Maia

Maia Registered

What a relief huh? They are pretty fast with the backpay deposit too but of course all that will go back to LTD and we're stuck paying the tax bill but that's OK!

Thanks for posting to let us all hear your good news.

4. KarolH

KarolH Registered

Well thank god. How long ago did you start SSD? I am guessing it was 2 years by what you said here but not sure. I have been on SSD since April 2006, so 3 1/2 years and no review yet. Should I expect one soon???

So happy your got approved.:wink2::wink2::wink2:

5. debatat

debatat Moderator

Thats great news!!!!!!!!

:bounce:

6. Jenkay

Jenkay Jen

Thanks.

Karol, I applied in 1/08 so almost two years. I guess there are all different time frames that they look at the file for review, the common ones I've heard of are 3, 5 or 7 years. Mine may be two years because I'm under 44 years old which has something to do with it I guess.

I'm classified as "young" at 40 even tho most days I feel like I'm 65:rotfl:.

7. keebler

keebler Moderator

What great news Jen! :yahoo:
    Love,
    Lyn

8. Lily

Lily Registered

Good news and such a relief Jen :woohoo:

love
    Lily

9. Kyphi

Kyphi Registered

Great news Jen long may it last :spin:

10. KarolH

KarolH Registered

I was like you, young to get SSD and I got approved first time around. Lucky I guess.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

11. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

Congratulations Jen :trampo: I hope your other case turns out as well.

Take care,
    Lazylegs

12. macfamily53

macfamily53 Registered

Congradulations Jen

That is such a huge stress releaver i am sure.I was not told mine would ber eveiwed but that does not mean anything.I would just relax now and not worry about the future :).I sure hope you can start to getting your lupus under control:).

Tammy

13. germanshepards

germanshepards Registered

Question about SSD

Congrats on getting your disability. I hope you and your husband can relax and have a nice holiday season.

I have a question. I just started filing today.

One of my doctors recently thinks that it is unbelievable that I have not filed for SSD, he thinks I should have no problem getting it (this is not my rhem). Anyway, if I get it, will they be watching me? I mean, even though I have all these health problems, I still have to carry heavy groceries up and down the steps. Can I still go to the gym?

14. Jenkay

Jenkay Jen

Hello,

Thanks again everyone.

For Germanshepards, I don't know if they'll be watching you but I use to worry about that a lot and then I realized being on disability doesn't mean I can't do anything. I'm down a lot and I keep a daily medical journal of how I'm doing and what I'm dealing with from a lupus standpoint each day and how much rest I needed that day.

I'm more sick than anyone I know but that doesn't mean if I'm having a good day that I can't go out and get a cup of coffee or do a little shopping. I feel comfortable in being able to justify why I can't hold down a job. If you and your doctors feel you are unable to work then I would try not to worry too much about it. Keeping a medical journal may be a good idea too. I would never remember everything if I didn't write it down and it really helps me summarize everything for my rheumy when I see her.

Hope everything goes well for you.