Disability | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Disability

Discussion in 'Social Security / Disability Benefits' started by Greekgoddess, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Greekgoddess

Greekgoddess Registered

Hi everyone,
    I'm applying for disability at work. I have lupus and fibromyalgia. I'm a mechanic and my job is very physical. I just had surgery on my right shoulder because I ruptured my bicep. I have a plate and 4 screws in my neck. I had capal tnnel surgery on both hands years ago. I'm also having trouble with my left shoulder. My job is killing me. My doctor is writing me out of work but I also have to file for social security. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. :worried: Thanks,
    Diane

2. lin

lin Registered

Hi im so sorry things have been bad for you, i dont know how things work over usa ,as i live in uk all the best Lin x

3. debatat

debatat Moderator

It sounds as though you really do need to stop work. It is a very physical job. I am glad that your doc is supporting you. I hope the process goes smoothly for you.

Take care

Deb

4. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

Hi Diane,

You have a few options when filing. You can do it yourself or retain a lawyer. I tried it myself and was able to get it. Others were not as successful and ended up getting a lawyer.

When filling out the paperwork give as much detail as possible. Details like you can only carry up to 5 pounds, can't lift anything overhead, fall if stooping to get things from a bottom shelf, have to constantly retype things because of fingers missing the correct key due to tremor and so on. You are not just limited to the space they provide, you can add extra sheets of paper. If you do it by computer they do limit how many words per section, in that case don't use complete sentences bullet points will do. Make copies of anything you turn in. They will come in handy when you have to do the paperwork for your review later on.

My husband helped me because I had adapted so much I had difficulty coming up with things to put down. We started with my head and it's limitations, then went to the arms, and continued downwards. Since I listed memory issues I was required to have a neuropsyche exam to prove there was a problem. I was super nervous about it but it actually helped in the final decision. Sometimes an exam by another physician may be required also to verify limitations.

It really helps to have your doctors on your side. Some members have included letters from their doctors. Others have discussed the forms prior to sending them in. I didn't do either because I already knew my doctors were going to support me.

I wish you luck.

Take care,
    Lazylegs