Discoid lupus | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Discoid lupus

Discussion in 'Symptoms' started by Mp01, May 1, 2019.

1. Mp01

Mp01 New Member

Rashes started to appear on my face about 5 weeks ago. My dermatologist prescribed aclovate but it didn’t work. Next prescription was hydrocortisone 2.5% but it still didn’t help. My rashes cover about 30% of my face now so my dermatologist did a biopsy. I’m still waiting for the result. I researched online and found some photos of discoid lupus rash and they are similar to my rashes. My dermatologist thinks I could have auto immune disease such as lupus. I know it is not 100% sure as I am still waiting for the biopsy result, but I am scared and at the same time I want to be prepared if the doctor says it is lupus. My dermatologist prescribed prednisone. Will prednisone clear the rash? If I have lupus, what is the best treatment and will the rash go away? Will they scar? Please advise.

2. Robin Jackson

Robin Jackson Member

DLE (discoid) is lupus confined to the skin. SLE can include DLE, but is systemic (joints, kidneys, etc..)
    Discoid can be scarring for sure. I have had it since 2010, and I was dx'd by biopsy. My ANA is a borderline positive, and further lupus panels are negative. I have not developed systemic issues. Not sure what your blood work shows, but I can tell you that if it is DLE, you will need a high potency steroid ointment. I was initially prescribed Clobetasol ointment and Plaquenil. I was able to stop Plaquenil after a couple of years, but have an open script for Cobetasol. Hopefully your dermatologist has ordered blood work to determine your involvement.
    Regardless, my advice at this point is to be diligent about using sunscreen and avoid prolonged sun exposure until you get your biopsy results.
    Hope that helps a bit and let us know your outcome.
    :thumbsup:

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  3. Mp01

Mp01 New Member

Thank you for your response. Do you know know how long it takes for the rash to become scar? I am so worried right now as I have lots of rashes on my face. They are red. Some are flat and some are raised. There are rashes as big as pimple and some that are big as penny. I have read some articles that with proper treatment and early diagnosis, scar can be prevented or lessen. I am hoping that is true.

4. Robin Jackson

Robin Jackson Member

Unfortunately, I was misdiagnosed for a couple of years, so some of my lesions were pretty nasty. Yes, I do believe scarring can be lessened by early dx. And, the ones I do have, have greatly diminished. As I said, you have to be diligent about sun protection/exposure.
    I am fortunate that my dermatologist interned with a doctor that specialized in lupus skin disease. Steroid ointments and creams are rated on a potency scale. Class 1 being the highest. Clobetasol is one of them. The ones you were prescribed are the lowest. Some docs not familiar with discoid hesitate to prescribe high potency for the face, however, it is needed to clear discoid lesions.