Discoid rashes? | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Discoid rashes?

Discussion in 'Symptoms' started by Amandalp, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Amandalp

Amandalp New Member

Does this look like discoid lupus?

I've been sick for a while, and my doctors have been checking me for autoimmune diseases (mainly lupus)
    Recently I have been developing these round scaly rashes that will last months at a time. Does it look like lupus? Or could it be something else?
    [​IMG] image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. x_claire_x

x_claire_x Moderator

Have they done a skin biopsy ?

3. Amandalp

Amandalp New Member

No, I haven't seen a dermatologist yet. That is my next step.

4. x_claire_x

x_claire_x Moderator

A few people on here have been diagnosed via a dermatologist and a skin biopsy..... at least it will help rule in or out what is going on with you....get on and make that appointment...onwards and upwards ! ;0)...........Claire

5. Jessica1

Jessica1 Moderator

My DLE was diagnosed with a biopsy; the lesions were on my face and were quite scaly. The dermatologist is your best bet - I wish I'd been referred way before I had and I'd tried many different lotions and potions. All the best with getting your answers.

6. Amandalp

Amandalp New Member

Thank you all for your help.

I went to see the dermatologist and we did a biopsy. She called and said it was suggestive of lupus, and we will be doing further testing.
    They sent me the results, but I don't know what any of it means. Can anyone help me understand this?

This is what it says:

PATH REPORT SEE COMMENTS
    Notes: SPECIMEN DESCRIPTION: A. L LEG SUPERIOR B. L LEG INFERIOR-MICHEL'S (DIF) CLINICAL DATA: A. PUNCH - R/O LUPUS B. PUNCH - R/O LUPUS DIAGNOSIS: A. L LEG SUPERIOR - SUBTLE INTERFACE DERMATITIS, POSSIBLE LUPUS ERYTHEMATOSUS NOTE: The findings are subtle and should be correlated with clinical and serologic findings. The direct immunofluorescence may be negative in some cases of bona fide lupus erythematosus. Clinical correlation is recommended. An interface drug reaction may appear similar. The lesion is crusted. A PAS stain is being done, and an addendum report will follow. B. L LEG INFERIOR-MICHEL'S (DIF) - EVALUATION BY LIGHT MICROSCOPY REVEALED CHANGES SIMILAR TO THE H&E SPECIMEN. DIRECT IMMUNOFLUORESCENCE EXAMINATION OF TISSUE FOR IgG, IgA, IgM, C3 AND FIBRINOGEN WAS NEGATIVE. ADDENDUM REPORT - 06 OCT 2015 A - A special stain, PAS, is negative for hyphae. Control slides are stained appropriately. Joseph S. Susa, DO ** Electronically Signed on 06 OCT 2015 ** GROSS DESCRIPTION: A. Received in formalin labeled with patient's name is a tan punch biopsy measuring 3 mm X 3 mm X 3 mm. Specimen is submitted in 1 cassette, 1 pieces. B. Immunofluorescence MICROSCOPIC FINDINGS: A. There is a superficial perivascular and interface dermatitis consisting of lymphocytes and histiocytes with scattered necrotic keratinocytes. There are also extravasated erythrocytes and tiny foci of spongiosis. B. Immunofluorescence.

7. Amandalp

Amandalp New Member

Just wanted to update you guy. I was officially diagnosed with lupus this week. I have been put on plaqunil and prednisone. Hopefully il start feeling better soon! Thank you all for your help!

8. x_claire_x

x_claire_x Moderator

Hope you have something to tell your primary Dr...politely of course !!!!! Glad you are finally being heard and treated :0)))