DLA - how often do you have to re-claim? | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

DLA - how often do you have to re-claim?

Discussion in 'Social Security / Disability Benefits' started by jellyjazz, Dec 21, 2009.

1. jellyjazz

jellyjazz JellyJazz

Hello,

I was just curious to know how often people who get DLA have to reclaim.

I have to re-do my application after 18 months...is this usual for it to be so frequent and will i have to do the entire application again?

Thanks!

2. LolaLola

LolaLola Registered

Dear JellyJazz, In my experience they tend to give one or two fairly short awards while they see how you respond to medication. I was fortunate in that the third time I applied (and they sent a DLA Doc every time) the Doc who came had been before and could see I was much worse so I was then awarded it indefinitely.

Most people I know tend to have a couple of short awards to start.
    x Lola

3. KarolH

KarolH Registered

I do not know anything about DLA yet wanted to wish you luck.;)

4. lin

lin Registered

jelly think mine was for 4 yrs then you have to say weather anything as got worse or better, i had to relpy before vi get to the end of time stated, as i got worse.......... oif you have had any change you have to let them know, so if you are worse please tell them, but you have to go through all the filling in again and dr's too. but hey its your rights, i did. consultants and gp will back you ,as they know you best...

Lin xxxxxxxxx

5. Lupo30

Lupo30 Registered

Hi

I was given it for 18 months and have just got it for 2 years after reapplying. You can ask for a copy of your form that you filled in the last time, it will usually take them about a week to send you a photocopy. Hope that's helpful.

Happy New Year.

Love Lupo30 xx

6. LolaLola

LolaLola Registered

Lupo, Asking for a photocopy is a brilliant idea. I always photocopy the forms for anything but would have lost them by now.
    x Lola

7. lin

lin Registered

Yes always do photo copys. saves going through it all again xx

8. birdie

birdie Registered

I am one of the lucky people I wsa awarded DLA indefinetely the first time round. Good luck with your application, we shouldn't have to try and explain ourselves all the time.

9. elle-co

elle-co Registered

Hi,
    The first time I was awarded for 2 yrs, then when I renewed I was awarded for 3yrs.
    It seems to vary depending on where you live too.

Elle x

10. jellyjazz

jellyjazz JellyJazz

Ahhh...

Thanks very much everyone! I did take a copy of the form before i posted it off thankfully...fingers crossed next time i'll get it a bit longer as its a pain filling it out.

Thank you again!