Dla | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. silver star

silver star Guest

Hi, I am new to this site and just wondered if someone could help. I have just been diagnosed with SLE and Schogrens though I have been feeling something has been going on for a while, doc kept telling me for last 10 yrs I had M.E. I had to give up work last year due to the tiredness and pains but didn't claim anything. The last month has been dreadful, asthma has gone haywire, 3 lots of steroids now have pleurisy and my new doc has said i could claim dla, can someone give me any advice.

Thanking you all for reading. x

2. LolaLola

LolaLola Registered

Hello, I have been on DLA for a long time and it is a real blessing. You can ring to request the forms or I believe you can do them on line. If I am not mistaken they give you a log in number so you don't have to fill in the whole form online at once. I must admit I prefer doing it in writing, keeping photocopies of it all.

x Lola

3. Lupo30

Lupo30 Registered

Hi Silver Star

You certainly are going through it. I would recommend that you 'phone for an application form. Don't be put off by how long it is and take your time. It sounds as if your doctor supports you which means your half way there.

Good luck and let us know how you get on. Look after yourself.

Lupo 30

4. silver star

silver star Guest

Hi,

Thank you so much for replying, just seems there is such a grey area with DLA.

One thing, i know you have to put your worst day when filling the form in but what if when they send the doctor to your house you are having a reasonable day, then what I will have wrote and what he sees are two different me,s????

Sorry, stressing out before its happened. Brain tends to jump about all over the place somedays. can't seem to rationalise things.

Thanks again.

Mx

5. ldshrubb

ldshrubb Registered

Hi, I too am in process of claiming dla. Forms are driving me spare! It gets so depressing, but if I get it, it will make it worth while. I am in receipt of lower level care on DLA, but really need more help now. I did have a doctor come around to assess me, was nice to me at the time, but wrote on her report that the day's I spent in bed(due to pain and/or fatigue), was 'self imposed bed rest'! I did have to go to a tribunal, but got some where in the end. Sorry not a happy tale to tell, but a warning!

6. silver star

silver star Guest

Sorry to hera you had a bad experience, but this is what is worrying me, if the doctor comes and I am on a good day, how does that work?????????

Mx

7. LolaLola

LolaLola Registered

I have had a number of Visiting Doctors, (examining Medical practitioners as they are sometimes called for DLA purposes), glad to say they have all been very helpful indeed.

I would strongly advise anyone interested in claiming to go to the Advice site http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/ It will take you through step by step and can make all the difference.

You do not always get a visit from a Doctor anyway, especially if you have seen a Consultant during the last year and give a clear idea of how your disabilities affect you.

First DLA awards for Lupus are often short, say 2 years, as they like to assess how you progress on medication. I had a series of short awards then was awarded it indefinitely, so it does sometimes happen fairly easily.

When my Son was ill as a child I had to go to Tribunal for him, Visiting Doctor was superficially nice but wrote a very inaccurate report. It took 20 months to get to Tribunal, which was successful. Again it was worth doing but you do need to put the work in and if you have good professional advice , so much the better.
    x Lola

You may be amused to know that one of the Visiting Doctors was later struck off and another accidentally drove her car over our lawn!!!! They are all human.

8. silver star

silver star Guest

Hi,

Thanks for all your replys. So glad to have people who understands what this all feels like. Was beginning to feel like was loosing my mind before being diagnosed. Going to have a go at filling in these forms so will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.
    Mxx

9. chilli

chilli Guest

another thing.....if you have problems with your wrists and fingers. you can mention this when you call for the application form. the form is looooong and laborious and if you are anything like me..will take at least a week. however, someone at the dla office can fill it on for you over the phone and they send you the completed form for you to read over and sign and send back. this is what they did for my sister. its worth asking, but i would always BE PREPARED for the kinds of things they will ask.

i think getting dla is more like the lottery......some people who should really get it dont. apply and dont give up if you get refused more money.....appeal and re-apply if necessary. good luck x

(ps. a drs visit is more likely for claims for income support and incap benefit. it is called the personal capability assessment. the dla tend to rely on your evidence and evidence provided by your dr/consultant)

10. silver star

silver star Guest

Thanks for that chilli. I am doing the forms a bit at a time. Very hard work.
    Mx

11. chilli

chilli Guest

no problem. please make sure they have date stamped the front of your dla form as your claim will be backdated to that date, and do ensure that you describe your absolute worse day....be as graphic as possible !!

best of luck xx

12. KarolH

KarolH Registered

What does DLA stand for?

Sorry???:blush::blush::blush:

13. Clare.T

Clare.T Registered

Hello Karol

It stands for Disability Living Allowance. This is a non means tested allowance made to people ( independent of income) who need help with everyday activities, and another component for mobility needs

:)
    Clare

14. orangelily

orangelily Registered

Hi I would suggest you contact DIAL you will find their number in the local phone book or get of internet, they are a great help, I contacted them they fill out the form for you as the know what to say and which boxes to tick and they also keep copies.