Do I need Flight Socks | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Do I need Flight Socks

Discussion in 'Living with lupus' started by SueG, Sep 16, 2010.

1. SueG

SueG Registered

Hi

Firstly I hope I've done this post correctly and put it in the right place.
    I am on Azathioprine and Plaquinel and I'm off to Las Vegas soon :excited:. I have never been on a long haul flight before and am wondering if I should wear flight socks and what I can do because the legs on ordinary flight socks are to big for my legs. Any help will be appreciated.

SueG

2. keebler

keebler Moderator

Hi Sue,

Could you pick up some compression hose? I find them in the pharmacy department at local stores such as Wal Mart, Target.

I would wear them but I also have heart failure so even going on long trips in the car I use them too.

Love,
    Lyn

3. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

Besides the stockings it will to stand up at your seat off and on or take a trip to the loo whether you need to or not. Isometrically tightening your muscles and stretching should help also. I get restless leg so I take an extra tablet for the flight since it is always worse when I am still. If I still have a problem I do ankle circles or flex and point my feet while in my seat. It also helps to stay hydrated.

Have a great time in Las Vegas. There are some great shows and quite an assortment of food. Try not to lose all your money in one place.

Take care,
    Lazylegs

wolf1 likes this.
  4. greenhaggis

greenhaggis Registered

Sue,

Your pharmacy should be able to stock fligt socks in small, medium and large sizes, or by shoe size...if they don't have the variation on display ask them if they can order some in.

5. Monica3

Monica3 Registered

Hi Sue! Sounds like a fun trip! Have you asked your doctor if it would be worthwhile to take aspirin around flight time? Also, ankle circles or doing the alphabet with both feet and walking about the cabin are all recommendations to minimize DVT. Of course, the socks should help if you find a good size for you. Have a great time!

6. cally

cally Registered

Hi Sue,

If you find that your chemist does not have the correct socks in stock try your GP, they should be able to give you a prescription for compression socks used for operations etc which would be ideal and come in all sizes.

I hope you have a great time :)

take care, Cally xx

7. sebastianan

sebastianan New Member

I also recommend them. I am taking a high blood pressure medicine, which causes water in my ankle. I wore them from Arizona to New Orleans and walked for a few hours without swelling of my feet and ankles. The socks are actually very comfortable, which makes me feel comfortable, but still compresses the ankle and calf.

8. wolf1

wolf1 Registered

Hi
    You will enjoy there, I’ve been there a couple of times. Went to see blue nan group they were great and boz gags.
    Always wear my flight socks when flying but I keep moving too. You can get them most places that sell socks.
    Enjoy and keep safe