Does anyone have experience with chlroquine biphosphate? | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone have experience with chlroquine biphosphate?

Discussion in 'Antimalarials' started by SoySugar, Nov 26, 2015.

1. SoySugar

SoySugar Member

Hi everyone.
    After only a month taking plaquinol is becoming more and more difficult to find hidroxychloroquine in Venezuela. A friend working in the malaria control program gave me 100 pills of chlroquine biphosphate and I believe it could be use to treat lupus too. Of course I will have to contact my doctor before, but I was wondering if anyone have experience with this drug.

Thanks.

S.

Enviado desde mi Lenovo B8080-F mediante Tapatalk

2. mark176

mark176 Active Member

I think its best to stick with the regular medicine, hydroxychloroquine. Everything is more predictable and there is more data on this drug. Can u not get it shipped from another country?

My rheumy was out of drugs so they posted it to me.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  3. omen

omen FKA Clare.T

Hi Soy
    This is chloroquin/Aralen and I have used this instead of Plaquenil because it's stronger. It's hardly ever, if ever at all, used in the UK or the USA because of the greater risk of retinal toxicity. Plaquenil does the job with the lesser risk. Otherwise it's much the same.
    The doses used in treating lupus is far higher than for malaria. Since the medicines accumulate the longer you take them the more likely you are to suffer eye toxicity. A baseline eye exam would be a good idea if you haven 't already had one and frequent eye tests.
    Plaquenil and Aralen should not be taken together I believe.
    I am sorry you're in such a difficult situation about getting the drugs.