Does anyone use a chiropractor? | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone use a chiropractor?

Discussion in 'Complementary therapies' started by Paulin46, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Paulin46

Paulin46 Registered

I was wondering if anyone uses a chiropractor to help with pain issues? I have been thinking of it. I have a lot of back pain right now. I am not sure if it is muscle though. I get it in my sides too.

Just wondering.........

2. granny weatherwax

granny weatherwax Registered

I have in the past Pauline, I had a great one but I moved area so couldn't see him any more. I now have an amazing private Physio and she is fantastic. It's all about finding the right one for you and one that works.

Hope you manage to find someone that makes you more comfortable.

Claire xxx

3. ROSJAC

ROSJAC Registered

Hi Pauline, I asked a chrio. if he could help my back problem. When I told him I had Lupus, he said no. My Rhumy recently had me purchase an Overdoor Traction device to see if it would help with my neck pain. Time will tell! He also, said I might try acupuncture.I get pains in my outer rib area. Had A cat scan , but nothing unusual. The side pain has been continuous for several months. I recently started Celebrex and A muscle relaxer. Neither have helped after 3 weeks.
    Best Wishes,
    Rosie

4. Katharine

Katharine Registered

Hi there,

Yes, I have a friend who is one. He is very gentle and is also an anaethesist, an osteopath and acupuncturist for horses and an acupuncturist for humans... Strange man but very helpful. At one stage I had terrible pain all around my ribcage, not in my back at all, but it turned out to be due to my back being out of line. I now only see him about once a year to keep things in check. I do physio (special kind to do with posture and so on) once a week and he also wanted me to go back t doing aikido that I did before to keep my back and whole body more supple and active. I can't always do it and have to limit some things but it has also helped a great deal.

As with all things you need to be sure to have someone good who is knowledgeable about all your issues and also gentle - despite mine being very gentle, I always have to take a week's worth anti-inflammatories after any session, otherwise I'd be in such pain that I'd undo the good it does.

Katharine

5. Monica3

Monica3 Registered

Hi Pauline --

I saw a chiropractor for about a year in Virginia and she really helped me with my neck, shoulder and back pain. She would not do those corrections on my neck though because that would always make the pain worse (you know where they turn it fast and it looks like they are trying to break your neck?).

After my initial exam she gave me an x-ray, then went to her books to read up about lupus. She was a gentle but thorough doctor. She really did help me. When I was at her office, I also got heat treatment as well as TENS unit type treatment. I always felt nice and loose when I left her office.

Good luck finding one who will at least try to work with the types of problems lupies have.

Monica

6. Paulin46

Paulin46 Registered

Thank you so much girls. That is helpful. I have one I have emailed with questions. A coworker was seeing him. I will write him again and see if he would know how to treat lupus.

7. Pink Pearl

Pink Pearl Registered

Hi Pauline,
    I see a massage therapist every other week now. She keeps my joints and muscles moving and so keeps the pain down to a tolerable level. There have been a few times when I have gone in with a massive migraine and after an hour, walk out with no pain and feeling almost lightheaded from all the release. It can be amazing. When I first started to see her about 14 years ago, she did a lot of research on lupus and learned to not stimulate the pathways that most people need, but to work to quiet the immune system instead.
    Sally