Driving and Lupus | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Driving and Lupus

Discussion in 'Living with lupus' started by since2009, Feb 5, 2016.

1. since2009

since2009 New Member

Recently, I got into a car accident. I don't remember a lot about it. I remember pressing on the breaks and I'm still trying to construct what has happened in my head. I remember blanking out. The police told me that all of the witnesses said I ran a red light. I do not remember that at all.

This is the second accident I've ever gotten into in my entire life. The first one, a similar incident happened but the damage then was incredibly minor. This latest one, terrifies me.

I'm now worried about 3 things: paying all my medical bills for the last two months (mostly lupus related check-ups), having enough money leftover to pay the deductible for the accident (it's a brand new vehicle too), and the fact that my neurological problems are much worse than I had thought.

I've read in other forums where people have experienced something similar -- I'm wondering if this has been a concern for anyone here or if you've found a solution to test your cognitive abilities.

2. keebler

keebler Moderator

Hi and welcome to the forum.
    Im sorry about your accident. I havne't experienced that but Im sure someone will come along and help you.
    Take care,
    Lyn

3. debatat

debatat Moderator

I know when tired and doing familiar tasks such as driving it is not unheard of to blank out, and you would do the journey on automatic pilot. However if you have run a red light then you are talking about losing more concentration. I would speak to your doctor first, and get some medical advice.

I am sorry about your accident, it must be a huge worry on top of everything else.

4. since2009

since2009 New Member

I am seeing my general practitioner on Monday and I'm seeing my rheumatologist two weeks after. I'm nervous scared and still terrified.

Because of the nature of my job (consulting), I need to drive to work/client meetings and I need to work to pay these bills!

5. tuffymason

tuffymason Registered

Just miserable, so sorry to hear what you are going through. When I am flaring, in my head, at least that's what it seems like...I never really ever have gotten an answer from any doctor about just what goes on....I get terrible headaches, dizziness, relentless fatigue and my cognitive function changes. For me, I have learned this at home, with everyday things like cooking, banking and paying bills, things that require consentration and steps a, b and c for example. I know that when things are bad this way my ability to multi task as fast as I normally do leaves me or at least slows down ALLOT and my reflexes are slower. So I just do not drive then. It is terrible being stuck in. Did you notice anything like this before/when you had the accident? It took me a while to figure it all out. Wishing you all the best. Sandra

6. since2009

since2009 New Member

hi @tuffymason -- my warning signs before was some light dizziness (usually from the plaquenil in the mornings) and I had a tough time focusing on my dog (picking up after him) for his morning walk. Spaced out is the best way to describe it. I'm so mad and embarrassed at myself because I didn't pay attention to these signs.

Cognitively it's never been this bad. I noticed that with this most recent flare-up, I will swap words, lose my train of thought really easily, and be terrible at social interactions. I end up drifting off and being distracted by ambient noise. My doctors don't have an explanation (MRI and psych results show nothing) and my job requires me to be social and interact with clients on a daily basis. I feel like I'm going crazy because there are no answers.

7. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

Try not to be too hard on yourself. Just because your symptoms don't show something on the MRI doesn't mean they are not real. Many patients report these same symptoms. Some can be explained on an MRI and others can't. Doctors are slowly coming around to understanding these symptoms can be part of the disease. Other possibilities do need to be eliminated first though.

You are aware of what is happening but it doesn't mean others are. At the height of my problems only the people closest to me realized anything was wrong. Let the doctor know if things don't change. In my case more aggressive treatment really helped.

Take care,
    Lazylegs

8. since2009

since2009 New Member

Thank you so much for the support. I really hate how "silent" lupus is and it's frustrating.

9. Smile Of Life

Smile Of Life Duncan

When I get exhausted I find I feel 'drunk' when driving. So if I am, say, meeting friends, which tires me a lot, then I leave as soon as I start feeling tired, or I know I will be unsafe to drive if I leave it longer. I once left a school reunion after several hours in a pub when I literally staggered to the car like I was drunk andd rove home badly. I had drunk no alcohol. I won't do that again.
    Perhaps your dizziness you experienced is your warning sign not to drive. That's pretty much what it is for me.
    Good luck.

10. since2009

since2009 New Member

That's a great way to put it -- I feel like I'm ALMOST drunk (like, 'one' more will really push me over the limit) when I'm not feeling great or not "all there."